𝑗𝑜ℎ𝑛 𝑠ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑏𝑦

You rolled out your last curl and let it drop down your back, allowing it to flow with the other strands of your light, golden brown hair. Ada made her way over to help your perfect the hairstyle. She pinned two strands behind, letting the rest to run along your back. You applied your make up, finishing it off by wearing a crimson red lipstick one of the girls had lent you. 

"Right we've got 20 minutes till we need to be ready, hurry up" said a panicking Ada, and with that you threw on your baby pink bridesmaid dress, a pair of small heels and your favourite perfume. Seeing as you had 10 or so minutes left, you helped Esme into her long, snow white dress. 

"How do I look" questioned Esme, feeling nervous. You couldn't deny the fact that Esme was beautiful, even if she was marrying the man you loved. 

"You look amazing Esme, don't doubt yourself for a second." You whispered back smiling. But behind that smile, you were hurting. Hurting so much. You and John had been meeting in secret for the past 10 months, usually at night, in alleyways or behind shops, both of you knowing full well you shouldn't, but not being able to stop yourselves. These meetings still happened even after it came out that John was to marry Esme, even though the news broke you. Despite the intimacy the two had during the cold of the night, the two of you hardly spoke during the day, the most communication you two having being a couple seconds of eye contact, or the odd 'hello' whenever you went for tea with Esme. Yes, the guilt was so killing you. Esme was one of your closest friends, and going behind her back to meet her soon to be husband made your body fill with regret, but you couldn't help yourself. You and John were like two magnets, pulling each other closer.

"C'mon Esme, lets go and get you married." You exclaimed, a smile plastered on your face. Fake of course. Today was going to be difficult for you. 

The drive to the wedding seemed to drag, you just wanted this day to be over with as fast as possible. You wanted the pain to be over. Once you and Esme had arrived, Ada showed you to a room where you could stay until you needed to be out. Esme began to look nervous and you could sense it.

 "Esme, are you nervous?" You asked.

 "A little yeh" She replied, giggling whilst she did. 

"You'll be fine, you look gorgeous, nothing to worry about" You comforted. Although saying this, you yourself were just as nervous, I mean you were about to watch the man you loved get married to someone else, and that someone just so happened to be a friend. To calm your nerves you informed Esme that you were going out for a smoke, trying to take your mind off the day.

As you leaned against the wall, you noticed John speaking to the boys. You didn't want to stare, but, you couldn't stop and you stared until he turned his head, creating a short moment of eye contact. With this John said something to the others which made them all turn and walk away and he began to make his way over to you. As he got closer you realised what was happening and put out your cigarette and tried to get away before he made it to you.

 "Y/N can you slow down" John yelled "Please" At this point you really couldn't be bothered to keep walking away so you just stopped and turned to face him.

"What, John?" you snapped.

"I - I just wanted to see how you are." he stammered.

 "Fine, great actually" you answered sarcastically to which John just lowered his head and pulled out a flask from his Jacket. 

He raised the drink to his lips and began to drink it, a little too quickly for your liking, so you lifted your hand to the flask attempting to stop him drinking. 

"John, John stop" you whispered. He stopped struggling against you when you raised you hand slightly so yours was on top of his. You could tell he was about to break, so you grabbed each side of his face. "Stop this, you're getting married, look happy" You teased, trying to lighten the situation.