Runaway Girl

The Doctor inhaled deeply. "The question should be, are you okay?" She pulled back, not because she wanted to but because she was checking for any signs of distress. Yaz was smiling but her eyes were filled with tears; tears of joy. Oh, how she hated herself for it. But what was she supposed to do? Keep everything inside? She was sure she would burst into tiny pieces one day if she kept on hiding her emotions, so she let it go.

"I've never been better, Doctor.", she whispered, then looked away because she started to feel uncomfortable. Not because of the Doctor but because she could feel herself blushing.

"I'm always here for you if you need to talk.", the Doctor assured her. She brushed her thumb against her companion's cheek and smiled sweetly.

"I care about you..", Yaz tried to find a point to start at, "A lot. I mean... You are.. And I..", she couldn't form a proper sentence that would make sense as she herself didn't even know where she was going with this.

"Well, I know, I'm pretty awesome...", the blonde responded, trying to lift the conversation up a bit and to hide what Yaz's words actually meant to her.

"Just...please don't ever go." Without her consent a single tear was rolling down her cheek until it dropped and landed on her pullover. Why, she thought, why did she think opening up was a good idea? It would only make her vulnerable and cause the most horrible pain, just like it did with Mike. That idiot, that complete asshole of a human being. Of course, the Doctor wasn't him, she was far from being like him but...she was still the Doctor. She couldn't be sure if that wonderful person would just vanish one day because she got bored or didn't like the team anymore, or worse, get into trouble and have to leave them behind. To be honest with herself, she barely knew anything about that woman.

But something about her made her feel safe, as if she had finally been found, like she could be herself for the moments that she spent with her. She just needed to be close to her.

And as if the Doctor had read her mind she pulled the thought-sunken Yaz into a hug once again.

"You are stuck with me, Yasmin Khan.", she promised, her words muffled by the fabric of the other one's sweater. "We're gonna see the universe together, I promise."

These tears.. and words from Yaz were just platonic, right? They had to be, the Doctor thought. She couldn't imagine them to be anything else but that.

Yaz slowly calmed down after the Doctor reassured her she wouldn't leave her behind although there was still a tiny bit of remaining doubt in the back of her mind that she couldn't fight yet. For now she just felt safe and sound in the Doctor's arms.

"Why don't we go, run off to another planet some time?", the time lord paused. "Together"

The last word caused goose bumps all over Yaz's skin. What did she say?
"Run off?", she asked with a surprised, yet interested and even slightly longing undertone in her voice. Running off with her? Was she being serious? In that moment Yaz knew that there was only one thing she wanted to do forever, that she would be able to do forever and it was being with the doctor, living in their own bubble, safe and happy. But she didn't understand where this was coming from. She had known her only four weeks at that point so why did she feel these strange emotions and longings? Why was there nothing she wanted to do more than follow her wherever she would lead? There were as many thoughts in her head as there were rooms in the TARDIS and probably she was just thinking way too much into it.

"I mean... why would you run off with... me?", she asked, loosening the hug.

"Because..."The Doctor stepped away to flip a few switches and check several panels until her racing hand landed on the final lever.

"...We have all the time in the universe to do whatever we want. So, will you run away with me?"

She had a wide smile full of promise on her face that made her look almost like a cheeky elf and made Yaz stand there in awe. For a couple of seconds she couldn't react in any way, trying to gain control over her ability to speak again, as she was too overwhelmed by the whole situation, by the Doctor. But then a grin started to spread out on her face and she started feeling free. Free of all of her responsibilities, of having to pretend to care and trying to be a part of everyday life. She was free to do anything she wanted to now so there was only one correct answer to that question:

"Yes, I will.", she giggled, "I'll run away with you." She would run away with her doctor.

The Doctor pulled dramatically on one of the levers and tried calling over the TARDIS noises that had already begun. "Then you better hold on!", she called and held on to the console to steady herself. She had just sent them to a planet of another galaxy that was located about 27.9 gigaparsecs away from earth, meaning it was close to the edge of the observable universe, which frightened Yaz as she had never been that far from home yet. But as frightening as this distance might seem, she trusted the Doctor and was far too curious and excited to keep worrying about things that she didn't understand anyway.

Yaz was still holding on to the handle she had wrapped her hands around during the ride through the vortex when they had already landed on the foreign planet. She still didn't know the TARDIS well enough to be sure that it was over. But suddenly she felt a soft touch on her upper arm so she turned her head around, now looking into the Doctor's beautiful eyes.

"You can let go now.", she assured her, gently pulling her to her feet again, "we've officially arrived on the planet of Minaar Horisont, or better, what will be the planet of Minaar one day since officially it doesn't exist yet.", the Doctor explained excitedly." The air is almost identical to ours except for the fact that it contains a bigger amount of oxygen, allowing for excess plant life, we've got about twice as much freshwater than back on earth, three suns and a bunch of other amazing things that I will show you soon, runaway girl."