Chapter 9

The morning came way to fast, taking with it the vivid details of last night. I remembered kissing her and the fact that she kissed me back, 'so I did have a chance!' I thought. It was early when I woke to the opening of my apartments front door. Who ever was walking in didn't care about waking people up. The door slammed behind them and I sat up. My eyes were sicky from sleep, my hair felt heavy, my vision focused on Brady as he walked closer.

"Why are you on the futon?" The sun through the window fell right in my eyes and it was so bright it could give you a headache. 

"What do you want Brady?" I asked him as he walked toward the kitchen to make coffee. 

"One you're late for Sunday lunch and two," he paused glancing in my room. " you have a visitor downstairs." his eyebrow shot up at the sight of someone in my bed. "Dude, " before I could say or correct anything he was thinking, in his perverted little skull, he high fived me.

"A visitor? Who is it?" I walked to my closet and threw on a fresh shirt.

"Oh, My god!" Luna sat up from my bed, I smiled at her tangled hair and my crumpled t-shirt. "Did I sleepwalk in here?" she looked down noticing my shirt for the first time, Brady just stood there staring. I smacked him.

"No," I shook my head at him then looked back to Luna.

"How? Who's shirt is this?" I walked closer to her,  then glanced at Brady again, his arms were crossed and he had a smile on his face that could only be explained by someone as close to him as me, I knew what was going through his brain and he was thinking very dirty things. 

"Give us a second Brady, I'll be down in a minute." I could tell he didn't want to leave but if I commanded him to he had no say in it. Once he was out the door I looked back at Luna who was desprately trying to tame her hair. "Sorry I didn't want to give him ideas." I laugh, she smiled back. "You fell asleep so I carried you in here," I pointed to the top she was wearing "that's my shirt." I added. "I gave it to you to change into last night, you must've been really out of it because you looked like you were sleep dressing."

"You watched me undress?" her eyes got big.

"No! I was turning off the lamp and you just started undressing! I swear I didn't look." The second of silence was more awkward than it needed to be.

"Ok, I believe you. Only because I know I sleepwalk a lot." she had now jumped down and slib her jeans back on. She made a little hop before she buttoned the waistband, not that I was looking. 

"Anyway, " I run my fingers through my hair. "Someone is down there waiting for me. Do you want to eat Sunday dinner before we go to the Elders?" I ask. "You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to plus, my mom brought over chicken casserol for today."  She smiled.

"I'd  love to, " she turned around and pulled my shirt off. "I can feel your stare, even if I can't see you." she said, a smile in her voice.  She turned back around fully dressed, and started to walk out the bedroom door, I followed.

"Okay just so you know they will all be standing, waiting for me to announce Sunday Lunch for them, don't get freaked out." As I had warned, when we got to the lower steps everyone was standing and staring. A couple people gasped but not to loudly to question.  I eyed Brady, "Where is this visitor?"  he pointed down the hall.

"In your office."  Luna's eyebrow shot up to ask 'you have an office?' I nodded and she followed me down the hall. The guy stood up when I opened the door, he was about my age with black hair and brown eyes.  I sat behind my desk and Luna just stood behind me. "Everyone! Please enjoy your Sunday Lunch, go ahead don't wait up on us. Please just leave two seats empty!" everyone started back to the table and the chattering began again.

"I  thought the men were the Alpha's " he said. 

"You're in my house." I replied. "Don't disrespect the lady." I could tell Luna was about to burst into laughter, but I had to be the man in charge and correct this guy. "Why are you here?"

 " I'm Carter, I was hoping you'd let me join your pack," he sat up straighter. "as an omega of course." 

"What happened to your pack?" 

"I've never really been included into one. But I'm ready to settle and stop moving, and you have the best pack in the area."  his face was blank but I could tell inside he was pleading. I gave him a one up then turned to Luna.

"What do you think?"

"About the sexist pig?" I nodded. "What harm could he do? A girl could beat him up, I say let him in but watch him closely." I could tell she'd been waiting for her perfect line, and a smirk crossed both of our faces. I looked from Carter to Luna. 

"You are a natural leader." I told Luna smiling as we walked back into the dining room where everyone was still eating. I of course sat at the end of the table and she sat to my left with Brady on her right.  

"You are a hard girl to find you know that?" Brady leaned over to her. "Pretty too, but you must try harder at other things right?" he had his signature perveted smile on his tan and dimpled face. Luna just looked over at him and with a straight face she said,  "Does anyone else visualize duct tape over your mouth so early in the conversation?"  I made a sound that was inbetween a snort and a cough. Luna smiled as I covered my mouth.

"She's a smart one Brady I'd back off." But we were all laughing.  After I'd agreed to let Carter stay I told him Brady would should him around later, that I'd be gone all day. Carter had quickly left the house saying her needed to grab his things and Luna and I  had gone to eat.  After we ate we took a walka rounf the reservation so we wouldn't be too early and annoy the Elders. She seemed to like it though, so I did as well, and we walked around with her one arm wrapped around me and the other in my jack sleeve like a two headed penguin.  We could stop talking. She asked about my life, and occasionally would answer my questions about hers until Kaleb came into the conversation.

"What am I supposed to do? He hates you, and there has to be a reason why they've been hiding me and not telling me about all this stuff." 'stuff' as in shifters.

"Well they must've wanted to otherwise they wouldn't have taken you out of school." I comfort her.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because we stop our schooling at sixteen, so we can start participating in pack things."  I shrugged and my shoulder rubbed hers.

"Yeah but how do I tell them that I already know? And I wasn't kidding about needing space neal, I still don't know what they'll say." she cocked her head toward the Elder house we were aproaching.

"I understand, and I'll give you as much space as you need." the arm I had around her in a side hug tightened. "I really do love you even if you can't feel the mate connection." I told her, she cringed at the L word.

"But you still need to remember this is all new to me."  We were now standing at the Elders door. I lifted my fist to knock but the door opened before my hand slammed on the wood.

"Ah! Come in!" said Kay who couldn't take her eyes off Luna. We both stepped up to go in the door but Kay held out a hand. "Not you! Her."