2. 𝔐𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔢𝔩

Every time the sun shines through my curtains I feel like peeling off my skin. I often do not feel like waking up. Not with the sun, at least. Too bright. The man with horns tells me that rain is the nicest thing to wake up to. Often even thunder and storm. 

When I heard this morning that grandma was calling for another nanny I could not stand it. I do not need it. Maybe my twin sister does. She is innocent, she needs protection. I already got protection. But maybe my sister also needs his protection. Sometimes he tells me to convince her. I want to convince her too, that he is not bad. I never get to talk to her, though. Only when grandma has left, and even then she is afraid of me. Sometimes I wonder why. I should give her a present.

The flowers in the backyard grew higher than the fence by now. The nanny should be here any moment, so I do not waste it. I open the door outside and seek for my sister, playing between the poppies. She is different from me. It is like she can give life to the flowers around her. My sister only notices me when I take a tailor seat in front of her, which makes her scoot backwards instantly.

''No, no,'' I grab her arm, trying not to squeeze too tight. ''I just...want to talk. I told you, grandma lies. About me. About us.''

''What do you want, Michael?'' Katherine squeezes the stuffed animal she took with her against her chest tight.

''You have to believe me. You are my sister,'' I look at her. ''But it feels like you also are not.''

''I do not want to be,'' I can make up she just made a confession. ''She tells me you are dangerous. That you send her strange gifts.''

''Because I want her love,'' I say. ''Both of yours.''

Katherine looks down for a second, unsure of what her next answer will be. Instead, she plucks a flower and holds it in her hand. Tilting my head I watch what she does. It was like time made a huge jump, because the flower has fully bloomed.

''How did you do that?''

''I don't know,'' Katherine nearly whispers. ''It has been happening a lot lately. With flowers, branches. Once when I found a dead bird by the fence, I held it while I took it inside to grandma. Before I got in the bird struggled to get out of my hand. It lived.''

''See?'' I look at her. ''We are both special. People will see we are.''

''No,'' Katherine quickly shakes her head. ''Nobody can know. Not even grandma. You shouldn't have known it either.''

''We both have gifts, Kat,'' I smile, excited. ''It makes sense because we are connected. You know what we could-''

''What in Christ's name is happening here, Michael?!''

From the kitchen door came a heavy, rich voice. I quickly get onto my feet and look at nanny Petra. She instantly jolts over and grabs her arm. 

''You get inside, boy. Your grandma has strictly advised you stay in your room, and away from little Katherine!''

''No!'' I spit at her and try to get out of her grip. I turn to look at Katherine, helpless. She just looks at the both of us shocked.

''I know many boys like you,'' Petra nearly shouts. ''Brats, is what we call them! Now get inside. I will pray for you tonight.''

Once Petra has dragged me all the way upstairs and into my room, she slams the door shut when she leaves. All the way up those stairs I have thought about it. People are mistaken. People are ashamed of me. Tears form my eyes and before I know it, I roar out in frustration. Louder and louder. The things on my desk move. The light on my nightstand flickers. My voice sounds deep and scary. 

Then I stop. And it is more silent than before I started.