3. 𝔎𝔞𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔢

Something has shifted in me since earlier today. Though I haven't seen Michael after what happened, I have still been thinking about what happened and what was said. Also, I have been using my powers more now I have shown him what I can do. Yes, they are powers. Though I am not sure if I should be afraid or not. 

There is shouting coming from Michael's room. I lay down the doll I have been holding mindlessly beside its family and get up. I open the door open but only for a slight crack and peek. Michael has given grandma another one of his 'gifts'. Before I saw grandma bury them in the backyard where my brother and I sat earlier. As if she knew. 

I close the door, but it creaks. 

''Katherine,'' my heart pumped faster when I heard my name getting called. ''Do not worry about him. I will protect you.''

''He doesn't need protecting,'' I said, firm. ''He needs love.''

''He is not able to understand love,'' grandma explained, putting a hand on my back as she helps me back to my room. ''You are my little angel, Katherine.''

''You shouldn't do that,'' I shake my head. ''You shouldn't pull me forward. He will not like that. Not him. Not father.''

''Your father could not care less about him, despite the person he was,'' grandma breathed. ''Maybe he will learn to love his daughter, though.''

''Not your son, grandma,''  I said. ''Our real dad.''

I have never seen grandma's expression change faster than now. For a moment she eyes the floor, before she steadies her glance back onto me. ''I forbid you speak about that. Now go play with your dolls. I have brought new little clothes for them.''

Even though that did not persuade me to go back in my room, all I could do was listen and obey. It was not like I wanted Michael to show me one of the 'gifts'. I believed it so far that he had shown another one. I just wanted closure with my brother again, like in the garden. It felt nice; warm. The opposite of the monster grandma makes him look like. If only I had known he was not that dangerous I would have played with him earlier

My heart seems like it is racing when the door swings shut.

At night, I feel like I am being watched the most. Maybe it could be because I am. The heavy pumping of my heart and the sweat I wake up in from my nightmares could say the most. Tonight I could close my eyes, but I could not let sleep come sweep me away. Instead I lay here with my eyes closed, facing the ceiling. If only I dared to open my eyes.

One slight gap. Just one look. Maybe I am just making myself paranoid.

No, it is real. Its eyes glow, its foggy appearance almost makes it like it is just fog. But most of all, its horns tower above its figure. I clutch tighter on my nearest animal as it wanders towards the side of my bed and leans over me.

''You,'' its voice was eerily low. ''You were accidental.''

''Wh...at?'' My voice was tiny compared to the figure's.

''You became a triplet,'' the figure snickered. ''Three, instead of one. One has luckily already been wiped out. Now there is the two of you. Yet only one of you can thrive.''

''I have no idea what you are talking about.''

''The apocalypse, dear daughter of Satan,'' it snickered. ''And by the looks of it, your brother is more fit than you.''

''I do not want to be like my brother,'' I said. ''I just want to be a kid.''

''You are not a kid, Katherine,'' it replied. ''Just like your brother. You are special since birth. Soon, the time will come for the ultimate change. Michael will then be successor.''

''Who even are you?'' I wondered. ''A...Are you...my real dad?''

''Not him,'' it hummed. ''Someone close to him, rather.''

''If I am not like my brother, then why am I so special?'' I asked. ''Why can I do what I can do? Michael saw it too. The flower in the garden, and the dead bird I found by the shed.''

''Maybe your father has not been that harsh on you. Maybe he has not left you in the gutter yet,'' it roamed over to much closer to me. ''Maybe he wants all his own children to be safe. But, that's besides from what I came to tell you here tonight, Katherine.''

''Then why are you here?'' I had noticed that my fear had grown stronger as I squeeze the teddy I held tighter, even though I had just talked to the thing normally.

''It is time,'' it says. ''You need to understand that. There is a reason behind your birth, it is true. Now, go back to sleep. You will see in the morning.''

Most people will say the saying; he disappeared in the blink of an eye, but this was really the case here. I never thought such a thing was possible. I did not even know why the thing did not scare me. I do know however that the thing had done something to me when it left. My head is tumbling, my vision blurred. And the tiredness, oh the tiredness. I could not even leave my eyes open. If I did not know better, I'd thought I was dying right now.

Yet deep inside me, I felt I was growing stronger whilst my mind drifted me away into dreams and nightmares.