4. 𝔐𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔢𝔩

Katherine woke up crying. I had wondered if the same had happened to her as well this morning. When I heard sobs coming from her bedroom, I knew my thoughts were true. She had probably looked into the mirror and saw herself. 

My door was half open when I woke up. Grandma must have come in. She must have been just as terrified as Katherine when she found out what we had become. Not like that mattered at all, anyways. I had heard the calling in my dreams last night and they turned out to be true. It was starting. Whatever that was, was still for me to find out. But in any way, I had felt stronger than yesterday.

With a smile plastered across my lips, I exit my bedroom to take a shower. Maybe also to take a good look at myself. I know my father has rewarded me well. Probably also my sister.

Speaking of her, it felt strange bumping into her. Katherine was much taller and her hair had grown out in a long flowing length that fell over her shoulders. It took me a moment to realise that this was my sister, who I had shared the womb with. After a brief moment of staring at each other, the corners of my mouth life and I grin.

''You look beautiful.''

''Uh- I...'' I could see the confusion rush through her head. ''What happened? Michael?''

''Yes, yes,'' I could not help my giggles. ''It is me. Amazing, right? Dad has made us amazing.''

''No,'' Katherine began to wildly shake her head and her eyes filled with tears again. ''I can't be this. I don't want to. Michael, undo it, please.''

''I can't do it, I do not know how,'' I quickly grabbed her shoulders. ''But it doesn't matter, Kat! We are grown now. We can do whatever we want.''

It nearly hurt me how harsh she hit off my arms from her shoulders. When her face turns to fear again, I can feel my heart sink in my chest. I thought she would love to be grown up. To be more powerful. Maybe she is just not as thankful for this than I am. I could not say it did not sadden me, but she needs time. Then she will see this is absolutely what she wants. 

''Everything is ruined, Michael,'' Katherine sobbed. ''I just don't know how to feel right now.''

As she turns to run back off to her room, I am met once again by grandma eyeing my with fierce eyes. I thought I was scared, like I would be yesterday. I thought I would go off crying because she was angry at me. Instead, I am nearly the same height as her. I notice that still did not matter to her. I was still the monstrous grandson she perceived me to be.

''What have you told her, Michael?''

''Nothing, grandma,'' I eye her. ''She was scared so I --''

''You do not talk to her,'' grandma stepped closer. ''You may be ruined but that does not mean she is. Not yet, at least. And I rather keep it that way. So stay away from Katherine.''

Something in me dropped like the little kid in me would. But then I screamed, the lights in the hallway flickering along. It lightly surprised grandma but she returned back to normal as she usually would.

''She is my sister! My twin sister!'' my eyes pierced through her and I felt something twitch in her. ''You can not keep her away from me!''

''I can and I will,'' she grabbed me by the arm. ''Now you will go to your room and you will listen to the priest this afternoon.''

I wanted to scream again but I knew it would not help. That priest would come no matter what. I just thought I also did not want to scare my sister any more. I now know what my screams can do and since she has already been traumatised what has happened to us, I would not even dare to do so. Something inside me burns. I did not think I could do it. I did not think I could symphatise for anybody on this earth. I knew what I was born to do. Above all, I knew what I could do was a priority to our father's attention. It made me quiver. Maybe with excitement, maybe in awe. 

The rest of the day went by like any other. My sister mostly hid away in her room, trying to avoid any chance of looking at her or getting any remarks on it. Usually she would play but I supposed the maturity that has grown with her now stops her from doing so. Even her favourite dolls which grandma had gotten her are not of less importance. I wanted to speak to her. I have wanted to ever since the garden. I could not let what she had shown me slip through my fingers. I will definitely once bring it to her attention. No matter if that brings us closer, or more apart from each other.