Gandhi and the peasant

Once Mahatma Gandhi was traveling somewhere by train. As usual, he was traveling in the third class compartment. For some rest, he took sleep by lying down in the seat.After some time, a farmer from a station came to that compartment and after finding Gandhiji sleeping on the seat, he, in a very rude manner, ordered Gandhiji to leave the seat. He rudely spoke to him, "What you have think of yourself that it's only you who bought the ticket? When he tried to push Gandhiji, Gandhiji suddenly stood up and left the seat for him.

After some time, Gandhiji politely asked the farmer, "where you are traveling to?" The farmer replied, "I am going to meet Gandhiji." Everyone in the compartment was smiling at the farmer's reply. After some time, the train stopped at a station and the crowd on the platform moved towards the train to felicitate Gandhiji. Then, the farmer became aware of his mistake. Actually, in those days there was no internet, no Facebook, no TV, and a newspaper can't help an uneducated farmer to recognize Mahatma Gandhi. He realized that the person with whom he wanted to meet was sitting beside him and with him, he behaved so rudely. So realizing his mistake when the farmer begged Gandhiji for pardon, Mahatma Gandhipatted him on his back to relieve that poor man.

That's Gandhiji's modesty and humbleness and for these two qualities he was known as 'Mahatma'.