Chapter 6: It's okay to not be okay

[ Edith's POV ]

[ Edith's POV ]

5:30pm
-
I take my time as I drive down our long dirt driveway so I could be at peace for at least a few more minutes, who knows what kind of mood dad and Dallas would be in. I wanted to get my bearings together so I could apologize to Dallas the right way, the Godly way.

I park my 1950 Ford F-1 pickup truck underneath the giant oak tree that's planted in the middle of the dirt wrap around driveway. It's beautiful how the driveway circles around the tree and the branches—full of colorful fall leaves—hang over to create a shade for the front of the house.
My truck belonged to my grandpa and it was written in his will that it be given to me when he passed away. At first it wouldn't run but I used my savings to buy parts for it then dad and I worked on it out back behind the barn for a whole summer. It's a faded blue with a few rusted spots on the hood and bumper, but other than that it's a beauty. The money I make working at the small bakery in town goes toward a new paint job for my old baby blue. Yes, I named the truck.. it was too tempting not to.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and rub my hands down the sides of the steering wheel before I close my eyes and begin praying out loud.
"Dear Heavenly Father, I'm so tired of feeling like this. If I hurt others, give me the strength to apologize to them... If people hurt me, give me the strength to forgive and help me to have patience with them in the future. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen." 

I open my eyes and feel a new peace and love overwhelming me. I just needed to give it to the Lord and I'm silly to think I can fight battles without Him.

[ Dallas' POV ]
-
I swivel around from hauling these stupid hay squares when I hear Edith's old truck pull up the drive. I push my hair out of my eyes and wipe sweat off my forehead. "Can I be done?" I demand as I turn back around to face Travis. "You've killed me all day." I puff out a short breath of air as I lean over and place my hands against my knees. I don't think I've ever done this much physical exertion in my entire life.

Travis rests his backside against the horse trailer and studies me as he sips on his sweet tea. "You've done somewhat decent but you're still not giving one hundred percent."

"You're not keeping me out here all night long doing barn work, that's Edith's job." I let the hay drop to the ground and I sit on top of it. "I don't have anything left to give! It's impossible to keep going." I inspect the sky when I hear a boom of thunder. More smoke colored storm clouds were rolling in. "And besides, it's raining for crying out loud! I don't want to step in horse crap thinking it's mud."

Just as I spoke those words Edith comes strolling down the worn path made in the grass that goes all the way up to the farmhouse. "Yes some of it is my job and that's why I came down here. If you don't want help then I can g-"

"No! You need to do your part and I'm willing to give you mine." The rain turned from a drizzle to a hard pour. I stand up and almost slip when I step forward into a forming mud puddle.