Chapter 11: Little white lies

[ Travis' POV ]
-
I get home from a night out with my buddies to see an empty driveway. I specifically told Edith to be home by 9:30 and it was pushing 11 o'clock.

I park my pickup truck in front of the house and then pull my phone out of the worn back pocket of my jeans. I hit Edith's name in my favorites contacts, it rings and rings and rings before it goes to her voicemail.

"Hey! This is Edith Thompson. Sorry I've missed your call but if you leave a message I'll call ya back!"

I huff and try calling her again. I think she's not going to answer but she picks up on the last ring, only it's not Edith at all.

"Mr. Thompson." Dallas says.

"What are you doing with my daughters phone." I demand as I get out of my truck. "And where are you two."

I hear Dallas and Edith's muffled voices.

"H-Hey, daddy." Edith stammered.

"It's almost 11 o'clock, Edith." I stated.

"Well.. we're staying at Katie's tonight." Her voice went up a few octaves as she spoke, she was lying to me.

"Mhm." I passed Katie's on the way home and Edith's truck wasn't in the driveway.

"What's that tone for?"

"Just that your truck isn't in Katie's driveway, Edith. So would you care to explain to me where you're at?" I ask in a gruff tone.

I hear Dallas mumble something incoherent on the other end of the line.

"Martha's. We're at Martha's bakery!" She forces out a laugh as if she's trying to make herself believe everything will be fine.

"Alright, Edith." I reply while Bo barks a hello as I'm walking towards the front porch. I didn't believe that for one second but I decided to try anyway.

I hang up and call Martha. "Sorry to bother you this late but I can't seem to find Edith." I say when she answers. "She's supposedly with you."

"Oh no, sir. Edith's not with me." Martha replies. "Her and that boy.. Dallas! Dallas was his name. Well, they left a few hours ago."

"Did they mention where they were headed?" I rub my chin.

"Not that I can recall. I figured they were headed back home, she was buying some apple fritters for you." I could hear her spraying something out of a bottle, probably wiping down the counter.

"Thanks anyway, Martha." I sigh and shake my head.

"Anytime, Travis. Have a nice night!"

"You too." And with that I hang up the phone and stomped up onto the front porch.

"Lord, please keep her safe. Please keep my baby girl safe.." I pray as soon as I get into the house.

I prayed to God that she would think with a Christian mindset. I prayed that Dallas would be responsible for just this one night. I prayed that no harm would come upon those two whether it be a car accident or bad people.

I also thought about how Georgia would handle the situation but I knew I could never top her parenting skills. My Georgia Anne would be the best parent Edith would ever have... to bad she's not here now to help me.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Yes, I know this is a short chapter but I wanted to try something a little different by writing in Travis' perspective :)

Question 1: What did you think about reading something from Travis' perspective?

Question 2: What did you think about Edith lying to her dad?

Vote, give feedback, & share with your friends!

~ Xoxo Madison Grace