Chapter 1

"Sup, ladies?"

Yang smiled cockily as she walked through the double doors, propping her aviators on top of her head. As her eyes adjusted to the lobby, she saw Pyrrha smile from behind the counter of the front desk.

"Good morning, Yang."

"Wonderful weather we're having, isn't it?" Yang said, casually leaning one elbow onto the desk and smiling at her co-workers. Coco merely rolled her eyes and gathered her papers.

"Yeah, it's pretty great." She said sarcastically with a glance out of the windows.

The three women turned around and studied the heavily falling snow outside.

"I don't know how you haven't frozen solid." Coco pointedly looked at Yang's outfit, her usual leather jacket and black shorts combo. The only difference was a yellow beanie piled haphazardly onto her hair.

"Hey, I put a hat on! Isn't that enough?"

"We just don't want you to get ill, Yang." Pyrrha said, her eyes fixed on the monitor infront of her as she wrote something down.

"There's no pleasing you two." Yang grumbled.

"By all means, keep trying, sweetie."

Yang scowled playfully in response, making Coco shake her head as she walked off and down to the right wing corridor. The blonde girl pulled her beanie off her head and watched as the snowflakes melted one by one.

"It's not very busy today, is it?"

"No, it isn't. All the more reason you should get in there as soon as possible."

"You're right." Yang sighed, taking up a pen and scribbling her name down on the register. "Who am I seeing today?"

Pyrrha looked down at the rota next to her and found Yang, reading the patient aloud.

"Neopolitan? Weird name."

"I think she prefers to be called Neo." Pyrrha supplied, watching as Yang raised her eyebrows.

"Alrighty then. See you at lunch, Pyrrha."

Yang waved once and began walking the same way Coco had.

"Yang?"

"Yeah?"

"You're in the left wing today."

The...left wing?

"What?" Yang turned around, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Pyrrha merely nodded at her. "But I'm always sent to the right wing."

"And today you're being sent to the left wing."

Yang stood still, watching as Pyrrha continued working on the screen infront of her as if nothing was out of the ordinary. Shaking her head slowly, she crossed the room and hesitantly entered the left wing for the first time.

She'd been volunteering at the Vale Care Home for a couple of years now, ever since she was old enough to catch the bus downtown. At this point, she was basically considered part of the staff. Glynda, their boss, even gave her a share of the money every month. She'd spent all of her best moments here, and made friends with all of the patients. It was a major part of her life.

But she'd never been in the left wing before.

From what she understood, the right wing was for the sick and the elderly, and the left wing was for the mentally ill. She always figured she'd never be allowed there because she wasn't a qualified nurse or carer. After all, she was only a volunteer.