ONE

ONE: TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK
october 31st, 1984.

"This may be a bad idea."

"No, R"-

"Correction: This is a terrible idea."

Rosalie Robinson sighed once more into her biology textbook. She began to believe that if she took enough deep breaths and closed her eyes then the day would mysteriously come to an end, she believed that maybe, just maybe, if she shut her eyes she would wake up. Anything that meant that she didn't need to go to this stupid Halloween party. It was a Wednesday night, for crying out loud! Wednesday nights were for soaking in the tub with her lit candles and reading a new book from her mother's bookcase. Plus, tonight she was supposed to trim the ends of her hair.

"Rose," whispered her now closest friend, her lab partner from sophomore biology. "You need this. We need this." She whimpered in attempts to guilt trip Rosalie while she leaned against their desk, Ivy batted her eye lashes at Rosalie.

Rosalie scoffed and pursed her full disapproving lips, before stubbornly shaking her head at her best friend, Ivy Jones. She had no reason to want to go to a party full wasted teens who wanted to hook up with other wasted teens just so all the wasted teens would go to school the next day to talk about how wasted they got. It was stupidity at it's finest. The thought of it made her eyes roll with annoyance. She never truly understood the point of high school parties. She always believed that at the end of the day, everyone who went to the parties hated one another deep down. Or at least that's how it always was at Hawkins High.

Ivy continued to try and persuade Rosalie, like she had been doing since the beginning of the class, "I will be there, and you will be there, and who knows?Maybe you'll meet some guy." Ivy spoke in a singsong tone, moving her fingers up and down Rosalie's arm in a ticklish manner.

"I don't want to meet some guy," Rosalie reminded her forgetful friend who seemed to always be thinking about Rosalie and all her decisions. "If you want to go so bad," she paused as the bell rang, an alarm gone off for all the anxious students, "then just.. you know, just go without me." She grabs her textbooks, before pushing a few loose curls from out of her face.

Ivy tsk'ed her lips at her friend, an expression as if to say 'yeah, right, in what world?' and collected her own books, "when do we ever go to parties without the other?"

"When do we ever go to parties?" Rosalie squinted her eyes as she stood beside Ivy, raising a confused arched brow. For the most part, Rosalie and Ivy never hung out with anyone other than, well, each other. The two always had one another and rarely hung out with anyone else. The two walked side by side and into the hallway full of excited teens the buzzed about their plans for the weekend. Most clutched orange flyers in their hands - their useless invitation to yet another one of Tina's house parties. It was the same flyer Ivy had placed on the girl's lab table at the start of class over an hour ago. "Plus, you know, we were supposed to hang out and binge watch horror movies tonight like last year." Rosalie reminded, under her breath, a tad bit annoyed.

"I want to do something different this year." Ivy spoke, sounding preoccupied. When Rosalie looked to Ivy, her brown eyes were tracking those of another. Jonathan Byers walked at least ten feet ahead of the two girls, laughing and talking with Nancy Wheeler. The pair were probably having the same conversation half their grade was engaging in, they were all answering the same question: "Are you going to Tina's Halloween party?"

Rosalie now understood, with the nod of her head she sighed. Stopping in her tracks and pulling the orange bright flyer from her back pocket, she felt her heart strings tug. A small groan escape from her as she pursed her lips. Rosalie couldn't ignore how much Ivy spoke about Jonathan; whether it be about his nice pair of jeans or whether he knew the same songs as her or even going as far as calling Rosalie's home to tell her she saw Jonathan at the supermarket. Rosalie knew how much Ivy liked Jonathan, and how long she spent trying to work up the courage to speak to him. This wasn't just some party full of wasted teens to Ivy, this was an opportunity to her. An opportunity to speak to Jonathan, her life-long crush. One opportunity she might never get again. Rosalie caved, internally groaning to herself for being such a sucker for love. In her hand, she gripped the orange flyer in a tight fist. "Fine...! I will go. As long as you promise to be designated driver."