✯ five ✯

Marla had asked me to fill out some paperwork.  It was a little strange at first but she said she wanted to make sure she had it just in case she needed to get a hold of me.  She also added that since I had been here a week, I would become some sort of long-term resident and that the room I was in couldn't be accidentally booked.  It seemed reasonable, so I put my full name on the paper, along with my phone number and the room I was staying in.  She thanked me and I nodded before heading out.  Denice wanted to go look at Halloween costumes for the party that was in two weeks, and I thought it was a good idea.  Gloria and Ben were coming also but Trevor was grounded, so he was ineligible.

Arriving at Denice's house, her mother answered the door, looking displeased.  I hoped it would have been Denice, my eyes meeting the woman's in front of me hesitantly.  Her arms were crossed over her chest and I always disliked how much she hated me.  After all, I had known her daughter for years, so it seemed unfair that she felt the way she did about me.  Especially since I wasn't troublesome in any way.

"V."

"Mrs. Miller."

"I didn't know my daughter was hanging out with you."

"Oh.  Yes.  We're shopping for Halloween costumes today."

Mrs. Miller rolled her eyes, moving out of the way and telling me that Denice was up in her room.  I thanked her quietly, awkwardly stepping by her and heading up the stairs.  It didn't take long to find Denice and Gloria, the latter sitting on the bed while my other friend was finishing her makeup

"V! Yay, you're here.  Ben is just in the bathroom, so we can leave when he finishes."

I agreed, sitting on the bed.  Trevor was texting us, saying he hated that he couldn't come to look at costumes as well.  We all apologized to him before Ben was walking in the room.  He smiled at me, sitting down before wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"You look like you walked here."

"I did."

"V! Why? I could have gotten you."

"I know.  But I like walking when it's cold out."

Ben rolled his eyes, Gloria and Denice appearing to feel the same way as him.  After Denice finished up, she grabbed her bag, leading us downstairs.  Mrs. Miller told us to have fun, the four of us piling into Denice's car.  Ben was upfront while Gloria and I sat in the back.

"So, how's work? You've been unable to hang out with us these past couple weeks."

I told them about how busy it had been and how I even got a raise.  They seemed excited, but there was this part of me that desperately wanted to tell them about why I had been working so often.  It wasn't fair to them and I felt like a horrible friend, but I knew it shouldn't matter that much.  After all, everyone had secrets, and this was one I certainly didn't want getting out.  Not only would I be the girl that lived on the East Side of Arlington Creek, but I would be the girl that lived on the East Side that had gotten kicked out of her alcoholic father's house.

"What is the plan for today?" I asked, wanting to change the subject from me.

"Well, I was hoping Denice would drive to the mall first and then we could go to the party store."

"Can we also go to Evander's?" Ben questioned.

Denice threw a straw wrapper at him, asking why he only thought about food.  It was kind of funny, but I did agree that it was true.  Even Gloria pointed out that he was super upset when there hadn't been a certain kind of cereal at school for breakfast.  The event had been amusing to endure, especially since Ben never went to get school breakfast.  Although there was one day we all agreed to go, and Ben was highly disappointed by the selection.

"Whatever.  I'm the hottest guy in our high school.  Girls would die to be in the position you all are."

We all laughed, Denice pulling up to the mall.  I didn't really see the point of going here until I realized someone had rented out one of the locations for a Halloween store.  We walked around inside, Gloria and I got scared when Ben would jump out at us with scary masks on.  Denice thought it was funnier than it was scary, the three of us looking at costumes as Ben went off to look at some of the props.

"Should we all match this year?" Denice asked, pulling one of the costumes off the shelf to get a better look.  "We are seniors."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Gloria asked, glancing at another costume nearby.

"I don't know.  I think it could be cute."

"Sure.  Says the one holding a Sexy Superhero corset," I laughed.  "Seriously, Denice, I don't think I would look good in that."

She sighed, grabbing the black corset that had silver laced ties in the back.  I thought it looked like something that would just ask for trouble at a Halloween party, but Gloria thought it was totally my style.  Denice liked the blue one, and Gloria grabbed the red one.

"Just try it on," Denice encouraged me.  "Pretty please, V."

"Fine.  But that doesn't mean I'm getting it."

She nodded, following me to the changing room.  I was not excited about putting this thing on, feeling weird once I had gotten the costume on.  Gloria laughed and said she looked ridiculous.  Denice didn't say anything in her stall, and I tugged the strings on mine to tighten it, confused when I looked at the girl that stood in the mirror.  I had always been confident when it came to actions, but this made me look different.  As if I was the girl the other night who stood up to an East End Executioner.

"I don't know how I feel about this."

"Let us see, let us see!" Gloria called.

They both peeked their heads out of their stalls, seeming surprised the way I had been.  The pair instantly started praising me, saying it looked amazing and great, and that I should totally get the costume piece for the party.  Shrugging my shoulders, I told them I wasn't sure, and even claimed that fifty dollars was way too expensive for a top.

"I'll get it!" Denice piped up, nodding quickly.  "You look too great not to get it.  Not owning that item would be a complete shame."

"No, you aren't going to pay for—"

"Just pay half then.  Come on, V, you look hot in that."

I rolled my eyes but did feel confident in the top. Knowing I could wear a not so provocative skirt or some sort of pants, I agreed.  Denice squealed, Gloria seeming just as excited.  They showed me their costumes, which looked just okay on them, and I laughed, telling them to all try on the black one instead.  When they did, they said they were absolutely in love, and so it was agreed that we would definitely match this year.  Now I didn't feel like I was being completely provocative on my own, even though a part of me had a feeling my friends would want to dress up a little more scandalous than I would be willing.