✯ six ✯

For no particular reason, I had decided to take a walk. The air was chilly the way I liked it, but there was no breeze. It made the entire thing ten times better, and I usually cleared my head whenever I did decide to take a walk. Marla had waved to me as I walked out the door and I was surprised to find that there were no East End Executioners hanging out the way they had been previously. As I was walking, I heard noise echo off the buildings, my eyebrows pulling in. It took me a little bit to realize that the bar up ahead was probably the reason behind the sounds, which left me trying to ignore the clamor. The fact that it was probably a bunch of gang members hanging out caused me to feel a little uneasy, but I knew if I minded my own business there would be no reason to worry.

Continuing down a different street, I paused when I saw a group of people walking up to a house, all of them holding onto the right sides of their jackets. By the leather, it was clear to tell what they were a part of, but I had this feeling I wasn't going to want to stick around to watch what happened. He was there, the first in line. His usual beanie was on, curls peeking out the sides and an overly serious expression plastered on his face. Without much thought, I found myself crouching behind an overgrown bush, watching as he threw hand signals to a couple of guys behind him before he took a gun out, holding it in front of him as he knocked on the door.

Honestly, I knew I shouldn't watch. The very idea that they were called the East End Executioners—and were currently holding guns—told me enough about what their gang consisted of. Before I could see much of what happened, a hand was on my mouth, my body immediately freaking out as I wondered who had captured me.

"You need to get back now," a familiar voice whispered, and I was relieved to find out it was Marla. "I'm so glad I followed you. I didn't want you to get hurt and if anyone catches you watching them, you're dead."

Nodding quickly, she peeked out from behind the brush, grabbing my hand and pulling me to follow her. It was nice to know that Marla actually cared about me. Honestly, I just thought she was friends with the gang members, so I doubted she truly gave a damn about me. But here she was, worried about my safety for the evening. Following behind her, we walked past the bar, my body tensing up when I heard gunshots from down the street. Marla glared at me, but I knew it was more so because she was angry that I thought it was a good idea to sit and stare at them.

"So, why don't we chat over some bar food?"

"Oh, I'm only seventeen, I can't—"

"Sugar, I'm going to have someone bring it to us. Is that okay with you?"

I nodded.

"Great. You go back to the Inn, I'll order food."

"Okay."

Walking into the Inn lobby, I waited about ten minutes before Marla came strolling in. She explained to me that they were going to bring it over, my newfound friend walking with me outside. We sat on the pool deck, which once again, was far nicer than I had expected. The table we sat at was wooden and it looked clean. The chairs were a similar wood, and I watched as Marla sat in front of me, pulling her purse onto her lap and a pack of cigarettes out.

"Would you like one, sugar?"

I shook my head no. She took one out of the pack, grabbing her lighter from her purse. It took her seconds to light the end before she put the pack of cigarettes away, her lighter following not much later. I watched as she took a drag, blowing it out so it wouldn't hit me in the face.

"Tell me about yourself."

"What specifically do you want to know?"

"I don't know. Here, I'll give you a question. Why did you want to come stay at my hotel?"