Canon City

Canon City, the 3rd Stage goal, was in their eyesight. The only thing in their way was a small lake in the middle of the forest, and five other racers; Sandman, Pocoloco, the Mongolian horse rider Dot Han, the Russian Baba Yaga and the Mexican Gaucho.

Though they had a lot in front of them, Nat, Gyro and Johnny had a bigger threat right behind them.

Diego Brando.

He was following closely behind Gyro, and when Nat glanced at him, she noticed he was using the left corpse eye. He glanced at her, and she turned forward again, cursing under her breath.

As they were traveling through the forest, Johnny had asked her about their history. Though she wanted to change the subject, he wouldn't accept it. Gyro told them to reschedule their lover's quarrel, to which she replied by hitting him with a rock.

She quickly explained to Johnny that she and Diego had only gotten intimate once, right before she was going to leave for America. She regretted it. But it didn't change the fact that it happened.

Johnny stayed silent after that, and Nat was left feeling guilty. Gyro had told her not to worry about it, that the past was the past.

She wished she could.

"Do you think he would use his Stand ability? Do you think he would attack us here?" Gyro asked, looking at Nat and Johnny.

"There's no way he'd risk being disqualified here. He plans on defeating you without breaking any rules." Johnny replied.

"But we can't let out guard down! He's calculating! The breathing rate of our horses, their pulses, how far they're going! That's what he's using his ability for!" Nat said, glancing back at him again. He had his teeth bared. They were fangs, just like when he was a dinosaur.

As they approached the lake, they were given two choices. To the right of the lake was more grass, flat land, easy to traverse, but it was a lot longer than the other option: cliffs to the left of the lake. Uneven, definitely more dangerous and risky, but a shorter distance to Canon City.

"We have to go right, Gyro! Not left! Think of the horses! The key to our victory will be how much rest we can give to the horses!" Johnny said. Nat looked at their two options, then looked at Gyro. Sandman and Pocoloco had gone left, while Baba Yaga, Gaucho and Dot Han went right.

"You're right. We'll rest the horses...we'll go straight through the lake. It's only 2.2 meters at the deepest. 450 meters long. Valkyrie can easily go through." Gyro said, looking at a map of the lake.

"What?!" Johnny shouted in protest, but Gyro had already jumped into the lake. Nat glanced at Johnny, then turned back forward as she followed after Gyro, Diego right on the both of them.

Johnny hesitated for a few seconds, watching as his two friends and his enemy crossed the lake.

"Fuck! Damn it Gyro, Nat!" He muttered, but followed after them anyway.

"Gyro, are you sure this was a good idea? This water resistance is going to suck!" Nat said, looking at him.

"Why did you jump in here if you knew that, Nat?" Gyro asked, turning to her. She looked away, then back at him.

"I trust you and your judgment."

He flashed her a smile. "Good. Keep doing that. I know that water resistance is going to be a problem. That's why I slowed down, to the minimum speed I would need to pass all the other racers. I'm sure that's what Dio's doing, too..but I don't care! I'm getting 100 points on this stage, no matter what! I came here to win!" He said, turning forward. Nat stared at him in admiration.