EP 19: THE PRAYER

EPISODE NINETEEN

'the prayer'

LETTING THAT SINK  in was like trying to swallow hardtack.

"Then that means... Dominic..."

But we didn't have time to fully digest it, nor could I finish the thought that I didn't even know if I wanted to — because the doctor groaned awake, suit shuffling against the leather couch. Every head conspiring turned, James standing, our silence deafening.

"W-where — "

He turned his head, five figures blinked at him.

I steadied myself, studied a character, one akin to what lured him here — someone kind and sympathetic, someone who can pull out truths through flatter, but Leon beat me to it.

He was moving, twisting around us in long strides I didn't realise were in anger until the two other men who could see his expression tried to stop him.

Leon twisted out of Dr. Hamel's grasp, but James hauled him by the upper arm, steadily  the stronger man with a firmer expression. That didn't stop Leon.

"The human trafficking, what was your role?" At the vicious stab of each pointed word, the doctor uncomfortably retreated on the sofa, wide-eyed as if he was facing an actual caged animal. Only the cage was a human man.

There was confusion in that fear, almost fascination. Until Leon bellowed, louder, angrier. "ANSWER ME!"

"I-I — "

Dr. Hamel stepped forward, voice of concern and reason, before I stopped him. He frowned at me. He was too tall, even in comparison to my height in heels. But I kept his stare.

"Let him." Panicky fear could also be a motivator, and the confusion from the drug could be an added bonus.

Leon twisted his arm out of James' hold and took the doctor by the lapels of his suit. "I said..." His voice was calm, a spine-chilling note tacked at the end. "Answer me."

"I-I don't know anything about any of t-that," the doctor said, swallowing.

His eyes darted toward us as if we could save him from the cold wrath fuelling Leon. We stared back at him, impassive. Quinn fluttered her fingers, a slight smirk on her face.

He swallowed again. Then turned back to the monster in front of him. "This is about Dominic, isn't it? Matteo warned me, but — I've known Dominic for years and he's not part of any human trafficking syndicate. He's a good person."

A collection of blinks. Quinn turned to me.

"Wha —"

"Shh." I stepped forward. "Then why were you invited to that party? The day Dominic died."

"I — " His eyes narrowed, a strong sense of resolution behind them. "What comes before the amen?"

"The — what?" James was so befuddled it was almost hilarious.

"He's lost his marbles," Quinn muttered, amazed.

But his eyes were to me, hard and daring. "What comes before the amen?"

"The holy spirit," Leon answered, eyes widening. "The Holy Spirit. The Body. Dominic's body."

Something caught in my throat. "You're — "

"I recognise your face," he said, his eyes to me. Then raised his eyebrows at Leon. "Will you be so kind as to let me go?" Leon's fingers slackened until the doctor pried his hands off and sat back down, breathing hard. "Well, your description. Dominic was very vague. You're Wendy Cain, aren't you? I can't believe I didn't see it the first time." At the reminder of how we met, his cheeks tinged pink. "You look like my wife."