EP 24: HER NAME WAS DARLING BLUE

EPISODE TWENTY FOUR

'her name was darling blue'

YOU COULD SAY a lot about Aoi Nakamura, but she was a girl who did as she wanted. And she was punctual about it. Hours before dinner, I was transferred out. There was no more eye cover, no more gag. All because I was going home.

At the walk back, Kei merely walked close, both of us practically stumbling against the roots. Kei was more stable than I am, and the fact that I couldn't even walk without tripping on something, being caught by his quick reflexes when I nearly face-plant against jagged rocks meant that I couldn't run even if I wanted to.

The van was waiting at the bottom of the trenches, a clearer path in front of it. Once we all piled in, it was packed to the brim. I could feel their eyes and I exhaled, scooting closer to Kei. Several times, I did this on the ride back. I exhaled roughly, closing my eyes and turning again—

"Oh dear god, woman." Kei clenched the side of my waist with both hands on either side and hitched me, bringing me close, over his lap, then move me so we could exchange spots. Now I was pressed against the window and he was in the middle.

The man that I was squished next to, the one the made me feel wholly uncomfortable, said, "Are you sure it's okay that she's sitting against the—"

"— I mean if you stopped trying to feel her up, we'll all be okay about our shit but evidently you just had to be an asshole." Then he leaned back, crossed arms as if that settled everything. "Now if you can all just shut the fuck up so I could close my eyes, that'd be brilliant."

And he did, and that was that.

Another few hours later, the countryside slowly slinked back to urban. The van strolled along unfamiliar streets, people crowding shops and restaurants. The sun is coming close to a sunset; a difference in the air. We rolled into an underground parking lot, going down several floors until we stopped right in front of Aoi, still in her pearly pink outfit.

Only Kei and I got out, and when we did, the van sped off.

Aoi smiled thinly. "You're late."

Kei shrugged. "I wasn't driving."

Aoi's eyes narrowed and Kei stiffened. Then bowed and became a statue. "慎重に." Then she sighed. "But it's a good day today, so we should go. A team is ready to prep the both of us upstairs, as well as a late lunch. Are you ready?"

This was directed to me. "I don't even know what's really happening, but sure."

"Your sister-in-law has the ball in her court," was her cryptic reply. "All we have to do is show up. And you need to look pretty for tonight's events. Reunions and all. Well. I guess there's no harm since we're closed to the end?" She produced a red envelope, the colour of kissed burgundy, and offered it up to me. "Please."

So I pulled it open, taking out a short creamy paper. The message in it was equally as short, the print in shiny gold and red.

You are cordially invited to join the special memorial dinner for one—

DOMINIC PRINCE

The dinner will place in the castle on the building.

We hope to see you soon,

MISS WENDY CAIN.

You will be—