11: Trust

A/N: so sorry I've been silent on this book for so long. I lost my muse for a good bit and am (still) very behind on my schoolwork and started like 2-3 other books on here and different sites (cause I'm an impulsive idiot) but wanted to get this out. I also moved the tagged chapter to my other book. As always reviews and feedback are welcomed. Songs are probably going to be on chapters more often than not now because I've always written to music and it influences the chapters a lot. lmk what you think of the song choices. Also Danny blushes green in ghost form in this fic.

Danny's POV:

I looked at the kid, Wally, for a moment running the pros and cons of trusting them through my head. I glance at Zeal and we make brief eye contact and I see that he is doing the same.

Zeal breaks eye contact first and looks back at the hero's, "I can only speak for myself here, but I will need a bit more than that to trust you." Wally opened his mouth to say something but Zeal held up his hand and continued, "I know that your identities are important but it could easily be a ploy because if you do out us to the GIW, knowing them wouldn't affect you since we wouldnt be able to do anything, that is if anyone believed us in the first place."

I felt myself start to look at Zeals point if view closer and found myself only partially agreeing, I did feel like we needed something more but the act of sharing his identity had made me trust this Wally kid a bit more than the rest of the hero's at least.

"Would a public acknowledgement going against the Ecto-acts by the Justice League do it?" Asks Domino mask with a small smirk.

3rd person POV:

Phantom's and Zeals eyes widened at the question. "W-what? Would the League really do that? Why?" Phantom took a step out from behind Zeal and there was a hint of desperate hope in his eyes.

Robin took a step closer to the duo the smirk turning into a more serious expression. "Because it's the right thing to do. Many of the League aren't even human or what is considered as the standard anyways so it makes sense that there can be other species and beings that we have never heard of before. If the GIW were really in the right then they would have been upfront with us in what our mission was. All they told us when we started was that we were looking for a weapon and the thief who stole it."

Danny had flinched at the word, "weapon," and Zeal looked contemplative as he studied the young heroes in front of him before nodding to himself and turning to Danny.

"Kid I'll let you have the last say because it will mostly affect you but just know I'll stand by you and help in any way I can." He rested his hand on Danny's shoulder.

Danny looked slightly taken aback by the words but resolve entered his eyes as he stood taller and gave a short nod and turned to the heroes. "We won't go with you," The team shocked and Wally opened his mouth to try and further convince Danny before Danny held up his hand, "yet. You give a compelling argument for me to put a bit of trust in you all, 2 hours after we," he gestured at Zeal and himself, "see the broadcast from the League we will meet you here. If we see any hint of the GIW then the meeting is off and you won't find us again." Danny held out his hand. "Deal?"

Robin looked at Kaldur since he was acting team leader and the Atlantean stepped forward and took Danny's hand. "You have a deal my friend. I believe that the broadcast will be on the seven o'clock news today as Batman wanted to clear the matter up as soon as possible."

"Anything else before we part ways for now?" Asked Danny hesitantly.

M'gann raised ge hand and Danny raised his eyebrow and nodded. "Why is your mind so different than most people's, is it a ghost thing or a you thing or is that a personal question, it's alright if you don't want to answer or if you do! I-I'll just be quite now." Megan finished with a sheepish grin as Danny looked kind of amused not used to such an informal rambling in a long time.

"Uh no it's okay," Danny brought his hand up to grab the back his neck, "I think it might be a mix of both I won't give details now until you can prove yourselves but it's a question I can answer later if you do, is that alright?"

M'gann nodded and the team shifted as the realized it was probably time to leave and report to Batman while they waited for the broadcast. Wally zoomed over and rested his arm on Robin's shoulder and gave a quick wave, "I think that's our cue to go guys, see ya later Casper!" With that Robin and Wally were gone and the rest of the team paused before sighing.

"Farewell Phantom and Zeal, we will leave you to your business I hope to get to you better soon." With that Kaldur set out and Superboy and Artemis nodded as a goodbye and followed after. "Goodbye Phantom and Zeal I hope we get along well!" With that M'gann left and Danny and Zeal were left by themselves.

"I hope we can trust them, it would be nice to have allies for a change." Said Danny once he couldn't hear the team anymore and turned to the small storage area they had set up. "For now let's leave the area and wait for the broadcast, I don't want to be a sitting duck."

Zeal nodded and went to get his own stuff of a jacket and any cash they had gathered. "They seem genuine and if they are being honest then they can really help." He looked over and met Danny's eyes, "you deserve it and they can protect you better than I can alone."

"You do fine, also thanks." Zeal gave an amused huff of laughter before heading for the door to leave. "For what kid?"

"For letting me choose, and letting me decide instead of choosing for me." Danny wouldn't meet Zeal's eyes and a faint green blush was painting his cheeks.

"I figured if you can go through all the crap you have that you should have the choice to decide for yourself. I can help advise if you need it or if I think you're acting recklessly otherwise I trust you and don't want to try and force you into anything you don't want to do." Zeal ruffled Danny's hair as Danny did a quick jog to catch up where Zeal was almost to the door.

"Thanks, let's hope my decision was the right one." Zeal hummed in agreement and with that they both headed out to wait to see if they gained friends or foes.