Chapter 38

Hours later I haven’t disappeared in a hole in the ground. Unfortunately. At 10 p.m. when Griffith Observatory closed, security found me sitting on the floor of that toilet stall. They kindly asked me to leave and so I did. Still not one tear has left my eyes. I’m amazed by myself. But I’m unable to shake off that feeling of being hurt. That feeling of being so dumb and naive to open up to someone. We’ve all seen what happened to Ava, when she opened up to Justin. The loser played her. Like every guy does in movies and TV-shows. Like every man does when my girlfriends start dating. That’s why I never even bothered after Dan. Sex, cool. Dating, heck no! Until I met Ethan. Until I met the guy who made me swoon like Dan could make me swoon. I thought it was a sign. A sign from above. That it was okay to trust him. Mental note. Do not ever trust a guy again! Ever!

I walked out of the beautiful building that’s Griffith Observatory and stared at the empty parking lot. Not one person in sight. Great. Not that I thought he’d be looking for me or be waiting for me. But I hoped he was. Deep down inside I hoped he would be looking for me. For the girl he is apparently “falling in love” with. A dark chuckle left my lips, thinking about his empty words. “You are so easy, Hunter.” I laughed at myself. “Easy to bed, easy to play. What a fucking joke.” I whispered to myself. I definitely need to do something about that. It’s sad.

I had to turn on my phone, so I could order a cab and immediately my phone got flooded with texts and notifications of missed phone calls and received messages. Not only Ethan called and texted me. Also Ava and Grayson did. Multiple times. I quickly scanned through the texts before I continued ordering a cab.

Hunter, I’m looking for you. Where you at? Stop making me worry. x E

Babe, have been walking around for 30 minutes now. Did you leave? Call me asap. x E

Hun, call me back! Ethan says he can’t find you. What’s going on? Ily, Ava

Hunter. You can’t do this to me. Call me now! Ava

I’m silently sitting in the back of the cab and stare out of the window. The night sky is clear and I’m looking at thousands of stars when the cab driver starts talking to me. “You work at Griffith?” He asks me kindly as he makes eye contact via the rear view mirror. I’m a bit startled by him, starting to talk and I need a couple of seconds to collect my thoughts and acclimatize to my surroundings. Oh. Yes. I was sitting in the back of a cab. “No. No, I don’t.” I mumble. “Ah, you’re a tourist.” He says as a smile covers his face. “Nice accent.” He adds, to let me know it’s obvious to him I’m not American. Great. Is this where I will get robbed and raped? Because there is no way anyone is gonna hear and find me here in these Los Angeles hills in the back of a cab. But apparently the world isn’t as dark as I make it out to be, because the joyful cab driver keeps trying to have this innocent conversation with me. “I used to be a tourist here as well.” He chuckles. “I’m from the Mid-West, but moved here a year ago to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. Not really making a living as an actor quite yet. So, driving cab as well.” He explains. Cody –his name is- tells me all about his life before he moved to L.A. and what it is like to now live in a metropolitan that seems to move faster than the speed of light. He is funny, adorable and kind. He actually makes me laugh with his impressions of the celebrities he met since living here and I forget all about Ethan for a moment. Until Cody asks me why I was at Griffith Observatory. All by myself. So late at night.

“I think I just went on the worst date of my life.” I admit honestly. “I think it was also my very first date. Ever” I mumble while I tilt my head and look back at the sky. Dan and I started hanging out with friends but never really went on a proper dinner date or movie date before he asked me to be his girlfriend. We of course did all those things later. But not in the beginning. In the beginning we just spend time together at the school cafeteria. At the school grounds after his football practice, or my swim practice. Or at his house or mine. “Your first date?” Cody asks me surprised as he searches for my eyes in the rear view mirror. “Why was it so bad? Did he smell bad?” Cody again chuckles to lighten the mood. “Ugh, I wish he smelled bad.” I sigh as I roll my eyes. “That would make my life a lot easier. But no, this coincidentally happens to be the best smelling human being to walk the earth, actually.” I laugh at how twisted this fucked up life is. Making me fall in love with a fuckboy like Ethan. “He kissed another girl.” I tell Cody. Who immediately stops laughing and stares at me confused. “During the date.” I add for the dramatic effect. Those words make my cab driver gasp and I laugh at his reaction. He for sure is an actor. Vibing with my drama. “Who in the world would kiss another girl while being on a date with you? Look at you! You are gorgeous!” He yells. I laugh even harder at his words. What a sweetheart. Lifting my spirit like this. And he is fucking right. I am gorgeous. How dare Ethan? How fucking dare he?