About Magic

Stories often employ magic, but real people seldom do. That has lead to a lot of unfortunate misconceptions about what magic is and how to do it. Here are a few facts, just to help set the record straight.

First, a ward is a spell that blocks other spells. If you're not the only one who can use magic, then you better start by perfecting your wards. It's good to be able to avoid spells aimed at you by unscrupulous magic-workers. Unfortunately, magic, like anything powerful, is prone to misuse.

A weaving is a spell that pulls in natural, everyday sources of power, like the wind (if you want to lift something) or emotions (if you want to help someone feel more confident). Many of the major spells are woven out of forces of nature. It takes years to learn to weave a beautiful tapestry from thread, and so it is with magical weavings. Silent and her classmates at The Girl's Academy of Latin and Alchemy (GALA) study the magical arts for many years. Fortunately, Silent is quite a good student and able to do more magic than most. She will need all her skills and talent in the adventure that follows. . .

(This book is now in print and available for purchase through independent bookstores (and through Ingrams, which wholesales to bookstores), as well as on bookdepository, indiebound, or amazon (paperback and Kindle versions). However, I'm going to keep it up as a free read on wattpad too because I love this model--and it's all about readers, isn't it? - Alex)