Chapter 2 - Streaks Of Destiny

Anika walked absentmindedly to the canteen where she worked part-time. She was aware that the income that came from working at the canteen would get her nowhere. Now that she had finished a few courses in soft skills and design she hoped she would be accepted at the wedding planning firm. She couldn't help but think about the words her aunt said almost every day. She was tired of it all. Gauri didn't know the dark past and Anika wished she never knew about it. But her aunt never failed to blackmail her about it. She threatened to tell Gauri about the deeds of her mother. Sometimes, it was hard to live under the burden of it.

The next few hours went by in a blink. Anika was hurriedly heading to Nisha Dobriyal's Wedding Bells. It was a kilometer walk from the bus stand. She didn't want to be late. While another tension was bothering her running at the back of her mind. The landowner of the small space they called home, had called to warn her. If she didn't pay the rent by tomorrow he'd have them move out, rather, thrown out of the place. Things couldn't get any better. Anika tried to focus on her upcoming meeting, more precisely, the interview. She failed to, however. She was so lost that she didn't watch her step and she bumped into someone. Her file went out of her grip falling somewhere. Anika gasped as she saw the papers and her various projects and ideas spill out. In haste she quickly rushed towards them, not bothering to pay heed to the girl who bumped into her.

Before she could understand what happened, she heard a scream and felt a force pull her back. In minutes there was a commotion. The girl had saved her from a deadly accident. She turned to her. The girl looked at her with concern filled eyes. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? I am so sorry!" The girl uttered evidently shaken by the incident.

Anika managed to give her a grateful smile. "I am fine." She dusted her dress and from the edge of her dupatta cleaned her wound.

"I think you should show it to a doctor, it's bleeding."

Anika looked up and passed her a small smile. "It's nothing, I am fine, thank you. And...I am sorry, I wasn't looking where I was walking. If it wasn't for you, maybe then I'd need to see a doctor." Anika muttered wincing as the wound gave her a sharp burning sensation.

Priyanka smiled and bent down to pick up the scattered papers. She happened to glance at them and was impressed. "You're a wedding planner?" She asked momentarily glancing up as she continued to gather the papers.

"No. I want to be one. Right now, I work as a cook at a canteen." Anika looked at her with sadness slowly reflecting on her face. She had a sad excuse for a life!

"Really? But these designs look too good. I am sure you'd make an excellent wedding planner."

Anika smiled. The girl's smile was indeed contagious. How she wished, hers was at least five percent of that! She sighed, "Nowadays it's not talent that matters, it's the other things like background, status, family!" She took the papers from the girl as she looked at her thoughtfully.

"I disagree. If you deserve something, you'll get it if you fight for it!"

Anika gave a defeated smile. "Sometimes, you're tired of fighting for it. Anyway, I need to rush, I am already late for my interview. And...thank you!"