I. THE RECORDS

Monday the 28th of September 2020

Heavy rain thundered down on my old and two-sizes-too-big yellow raincoat, as my gumboots sloshed against the muddy and uneven ground. It was rather colder than usual, I could feel the cold seeping into my bones, despite it being spring — a time of year I expected the weather to warm up a bit, but nevertheless, my expectations of the world went out of the window.

I continued to follow the long gravel driveway, that led towards my rather small but homely grandmother's house. I shoved my cold hands deeper into the pockets of my raincoat, hoping for extra warmth as I managed to reassure myself I would be inside my grandmother's house in no longer than thirty seconds. As the seconds ticked on, I tried not to shudder at the thunder and the flashing of lightning. I hated rainy weather.

Swiftly I tried not to slip on the two wet wooden steps as I made my way up to the small wooden porch, I did my best not to cringe at my name which was inspired by a song from my grandmother's favourite band, "Jude!"

Rather impatient and worried, my grandmother's voice rang through my ears – who stood standing at the doorway while tapping her left foot furiously.

"Foolish girl! Jude, you're soaking wet!" Alike always my grandmother pulled myself (although I wasn't usually water-drenched by rain) into her frail arms, smoothing her long, bony fingers over my wet brown hair in her comforting and familiar embrace. I was grateful to see my grandmother and escape my father and my very-soon-to-be-stepmother and the difficulty it brought. I barely ever saw my dad. 

Quickly my grandmother let me go, probably because of the fact I was rather drenched with rain, pushing me inside and slamming the beige painted front door so hard behind her that it rattled. "Best if you get changed, Jude, I don't want you getting sick."

I nodded, kicking off my gumboots and turned to my right following hallway my feet sinking in the frayed carpet towards the guest room that I often stayed in when I was at my grandmother's.

I pushed open the door and flicked on the dim light and then shut the door behind me. I was happy with the fact my emergency backpack full of basic clothing necessities and toiletries were under the croaky twin-sized bed. I had transfered a lot of my things to my dads house for a short time due to the whole wedding planning. I zipped open the bag and the tumble of clothes fell onto the bed and I peeled off my wet clothes and changed into nice fresh, clean and dry ones.

I untied my rich chestnut brown hair from its messy bun and fanned my hair out hoping that it helps it dry quicker. I stuffed my clothes sprawled out on the twin bed back into my emergency backpack, then slipping my yellow raincoat back on that was still rather damp with rain. With the urge to not to be lazy I picked up my wet clothes and took them into the laundry to be washed.

My grandmother smiled, waiting at the end of the hallway and I realised that the poor woman had waited patiently for me but I could see that she was angry with my father, just like I was.

"Hungry aren't you?"

I opened my mouth to protest but my grandmother had already hooked my arm through hers and led me to the small outdated kitchen. 

"Grandma, I'm fine, please don't worry," I muttered in protest but my grandmother, ever since my mother passed away when I was seven, and ever since then I noticed that I've been smothered by my grandmother ever since.

I missed my mother so deeply and it had left an ache in my heart for her over the years but as much as I hated it life goes on. Life never stops for a second, even if you want it too. It was shameful to know that my mother would never see me grow up, finish school, get a job, one day settle down etcetera.