Bella

I woke up with a sore neck and a bruised mind. Shame came washing over me like a strong tide and I couldn't help but tense up, nauseated by the memories of my pathetic state the night before. It took me a second to get my bearings, too busy being disgusted with myself to tune in, but I eventually realised that Ethan was under me. I perked to attention, going stiff and holding my breath, and I said a silent prayer before slowly turning my head and...yeah. It was definitely him.

What am I doing? What am I doing?

I was about to get up and escape to literally anywhere else, but my plans were ruined by a short, plump woman strolling into the room. Her mahogany bob swished while she walked and a key fob hit against her large chest. After giving me a big smile, she tossed a warm look and a nod in Ethan's direction. 'I tried to get him to leave, but he refused to. Didn't want to be apart from you even for a couple of minutes while I checked your vitals.' My eyes travelled to his chiseled face. 'He's been here the whole night, the sweetheart.'

The whole night?

'You've bagged yourself a good one.'

I've...what?

'I'm Darcy. And you are...Bella. What a pretty name. How are we feeling this morning, precious?'

I was dazed and unsure of what to do. I wanted to get out of there, that's a given.

'Hungry,' I mumbled, tearing my gaze away from the unconscious mass next to me. His heat was radiating into my side. I didn't want that.

I'm engaged.

'Have—' I coughed, the memory of him coming back to me. 'Have you heard from my...'

Your what, Bella, huh? Your what?

'...Brad? Brad DuPont.'

The nurse put down the check board at the bottom of my bed once she'd quickly scanned it. 'Mmm, no. I don't think anyone has tried to contact you. In fact, a young boy called...G-something phoned in. G-G-G...Grayson? Grayson, that's it. He was here for a few hours last night, I'm sure, according to one of the nurses on shift at that time. I'll try find out a little more.'

Grayson called? How...nice. And not expected.

'Was he calling for me or,' I nudged my head to the side, 'Ethan?'

'You,' she replied.

I tried to sit up, not feeling comfortable lying down while I was talking to someone, and Ethan's arm immediately banded around me, pulling me on top of him. I made an "oof" sound and huffed out a breath. The nurse made an "awww" and clasped her hands.

'Young love,' she mused. 'I remember when my husband was like that.'

'Oh, we're not—'

'Who am I kidding? He treats me like the comforter every darn morning, tugging me all over the place.' She laughed lightly. 'I don't mind it. Nothing beats a good cuddle. I'm sure you'd know.'

My lungs were too full and I was feeling too cramped and her nice stories were too much for me. Ethan was invading my personal space and crossing mental and physical boundaries that he shouldn't have been. All I wanted was to talk to Brad and have him with me. My eyes darted around the room, unsure of what to settle on and what to do first, before they landed on my hand. I tore all of the wires off of me which caused a large reaction from Darcy.

'Hey, stop! What're you doing?!'

I threw Ethan's arm off of me and scrambled to my feet, taking a split second to steady myself and still my swishing brain. Once I did, I grabbed my phone and Ethan's jacket from the chair next to the bed and raced for the door.

Darcy started after me and was calling for security but I didn't stop. I ran as fast as I could and I just kept going — when I spotted the elevator, my stomach clenched so I darted around the corner for the stairs, flying down sixteen flights until I got to the bottom — and by the time I reached the huge glass doors of the exit, my entire body was shutting down. My vision was greying, my head was spinning, my ears were ringing and my breathing was ragged and out of control.

'Bella?' I turned towards the voice. 'Yo, I was just coming up. What're you doing out here?'

All I could do was stand with a slight sway, at too much of a loss for words.

'Hey, are you okay?'

Nothing.

'Bella, why are you out here?' His voice was growing more wary and concerned.

But still, not a thing.

From a distance, the faint sound of feet slapping the ground could be heard. We both snapped our heads round to look in the direction it was coming from, only to be met by the sight of three security guards splitting up and running through the parking lot as if on a manhunt. The fun twist is, I'm what they're hunting for.

'Bella...' He brought his eyes back to me.

'Grayson, you have to help me.'