Lunch-Time Talk

Mr Starbright's, or Don's, POV

After Brooke and her family got situated upstairs, the 9 of them all gathered in the kitchen and had sandwiches for lunch. Now it was around 1:30, and Don was helping the ladies clean up, Jake entertained his and Brook's 3 kids, and Alex went upstairs to his and Jackie's room. To do what, Don had no idea. 

There was something about that boy, something...different. Good or bad, Don couldn't tell. As soon as he meet that boy's eyes, he knew it. They where the same as his. Of course, Alex had light brown eyes rather than Don's blue, but still. He knew that look. Don saw it every time he looked in the mirror, or meet some of his friends from his time in the service. It wasn't just the eyes, either. The way the boy held himself, the way he carefully looked around any room he entered, and the handshake. The firm, confident, handshake. This all added up to something Don would think impossible. 

He looked at his younger daughter, who was quietly clearing the dishes and putting them in the dishwasher. He didn't want to believe it, but something has changed about her too. His little girl now has a bit of those eyes too. 

Don thought back to what he knew about her disappearance over the summer. Could something have happened then? He remembered the 2 strangers that came to the house. The first man came in June said that there was an accident, and she was presumed dead. Then, 2 months later, another man came and said that she was found, and she would call in a few days. She did, but didn't explain what happened. He wanted to bring it up, but didn't know how. 

To heck with it, he thought. I want to know what happened to his little girl. It's now or never. 

"All right, it's time to talk about the elephant in the room. Jackie, I think The 4 of us need to talk about what happened last summer."

He paused as Jackie but the dish she was holding in the dishwasher. Brooke and Vickie turned their attention.

"I don't really want to talk about it. I can't, really." she said, picking up another dish. 

"Jackie, A stranger comes to our house and tells us there was an accident, and they thought you were dead, and he's looking after Alex. 2 months later, a different man shows up, and says you were missing, and where found! What happened?!" Don said, try not to raise his voice. he really couldn't tell if he succeeded. 

His wife came forward and continued.

"I agree with your father, hon. I understand if it's hard to talk about, but can you at least try?"

Brooke also joined in

"Ya, Jackie, we hardly know anything. Only that you went missing. You can tell us. We won't tell anyone else if you don't want us too. "

There was a pause as Jackie thought. 

She finally let out a breath

"All right. I guess I should get Alex first though." she said 

"He was involved, too?" Don asked

"Its actually more to do with him than me. I'll be back in a sec." she said, walking towards the stairs.  

A few seconds later, Jake came in the room. 

"I heard a bit from the living room. Can I ask her if  I could join?" he asked.

"Im sure she'll be ok with it." Brook told her husband. 

They continued packing up the kitchen in silence for a few minuets until they heard footsteps in the hall. Alex and Jackie came into the kitchen. 

"I assume you heard, Jake?" she asked

"Yes, I did. May I join in?"

Jack looked at Alex, who nodded approval, before answering.