Chapter 6

Rachel was leaning over her sink with her mouth wide open and the mirror fogging up from her breath when she heard her phone buzz. Luckily, she didn't jump and managed to apply her mascara just fine before she went to check it. It was Felipe letting her know that he was waiting for her downstairs. Shit! Rachel was never late, how was she running late today?

Hurrying through the apartment one more time and picking up all the little things she might need, throwing everything into her purse, she was cussing under her breath. She stormed outside and pressed the elevator button a few times for good measure before returning quickly to lock the door to the apartment. As she was riding down she took one last look in the elevator mirror and tried taking a deep breath. 

She was really nervous about this date. What if they didn't have anything to talk about? What if her memory was tricking her and Felipe was actually super lame? What if her memory was tricking her and Felipe was even more handsome than she remembered? She couldn't fuck this up, not this one. He seemed way too cute.

As Rachel was stepping outside the building she already saw him leaning against the fence outside. She had to take another quick breath as she caught her first glimpse of him from the back. His dark hair was exactly as shiny and curly as she'd remembered it. He was in a beige t shirt, dark blue shorts and some leather white sneakers. She called his name and the first thing she noticed when he turned was the sparkle in his green brown eyes.

'Oi linda!', he bent down towards her kissing her cheeks and embracing her for a moment. He smelt divine and Rachel wanted nothing more than to linger in his hug for a moment. Unfortunately, he pulled back to look at her. 'You didn't promise too much, you look beautiful all cleaned up', he admired.

She gave him a nod and a smile, returning 'Thank you. You look very handsome yourself.'

'Shall we then?' Felipe held out his hand and Rachel reached out for it without hesitation. His palm was just the right balance between callused and smooth. Good, hands were important and Rachel already felt weirdly safe in his.

Felipe led her to the turquoise vespa that he had parked right in front of the house. 'Are you serious?', Rachel laughed. 'This is a dream come true, I've always wanted to ride one of those!'

'I'm glad you like it. It's the fastest way to get around. I didn't want for us to get stuck in traffic.'

'Are you kidding? I love it! Especially on a stunning day like this.'

Rachel pulled her sunglasses out her bag and flipped her long, wavy hair back over her shoulder as Felipe handed her his second helmet. He gracefully swung one leg over the scooter and lifted it from its stand. 'Hop on then!'

That he didn't have to tell Rachel twice. She got on the vespa just behind him, reaching his hands behind her in search of something to hold on to during the drive. Felipe gave a quiet laugh under his helmet as he turned to look over his shoulder. 

'Here, give me your hands.' He laid Rachel's arms around his torso and placed her hands onto his belly. 'Now hold on tight, traffic can be crazy. We might have to make a few quick turns. But I promise I won't go fast and if you're scared just let me know. You alright back there?'

'I couldn't be better, let's go!', Rachel said, inhaling the scent of his perfume.

They sped off into the busy streets of Rio. It was a lovely morning with lots of sun and a few fluffy clouds in otherwise blue skies. A nice day to have a great date. 

~~~~~

After a short drive Felipe pulled over to park the scooter. Already this had definitely been worthwhile: Rachel had loved feeling the wind in her hair and the feel of Felipe's body close to hers. He had turned around at the first traffic light, placing his hand on her thigh, in order to ask if she felt fine or if he was going too fast for her taste. Just feeling that palm above her knee had made Rachel's stomach lurch.