Epilogue - Copycat

MABLETON, WI - WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2023, 7:02 AM.

I make my way through my apartment, getting ready for the day. I make up my bed and walk into the bathroom, and look into the mirror. I'm a big guy, finally. Working out for all that time paid off. Through my unbuttoned flannel shirt, I can see the faded pink scars stretching across my chest. My hair is tapered on the sides and slicked back, and I have thick eyebrows and a neatly-trimmed beard. 

There's a blue sticky note on the mirror that says, "Congratulations, Detective!" with a smiley face. I grin from ear to ear and take one of the toothbrushes out of the cup and start my routine. 

I walk into the police department, brandishing my new badge. I head back to the office and past Nonny Donner's desk. "Morning, Detective!"

I smile and give him a high-five. "Hey, man."

I drive up to the McNaughton Correctional Center. Carrying in a large paper bag, I get the guard to buzz me in and lead me into the visiting area. Aaron is sitting at one of the metal tables. He keeps his head shaved but grows out his beard, and he's covered in tattoos. He smiles when he sees me and I sit down in front of him.

Aaron shakes my hand vigorously. "Congrats on making detective, man!"

I beam and begin to pull the contents out of the bag. "Thank you very much." I set out take-out from Hal's: two burgers and a large serving of fries, and two cans of Pepsi.

Aaron unwraps the tinfoil off of one of the burgers. "Old Hal ain't retired yet?"

I take a bite out of mine. "Nah, man, he's gonna live forever.

"You think he'll have forgiven me by the time I get outta here?"

I take a fry. "Dunno, man. When are you getting outta here?"

"My parole officer's telling me I might get out early 'cause of good behavior," he tells me.

"Well, it'd be nice to have lunch with you not behind bars," I chuckle.

Aaron laughs and opens his drink. "How's Lynne doing?"

I grin with pride. "She finally graduated from med school. I put in a good word, and she was instituted to the forensics team as my partner."

Aaron sighs. "Man, Dr. Lynne Thomas. Where does the time go? Say hi for me."

"I will."

"Maybe by the time I get outta here things'll have worked out for all of us."

"I'm counting on it, my friend."

We tap our drinks together and continue eating.

When I get back from the correction center, Lynne is walking down the sidewalk to greet me. "Hey, Detective!"

I snort. "Hey,"

She pulls a folder out of her jacket. "You won't believe this. We've been assigned to this case on the other side of Oneida county."

I stand next to her and look on over her shoulder. "What is it?"

She opens the folder and reveals a photo of a dead cat, its situation of death looking way too familiar. 

"You're kidding,"

Lynne shrugs. "Nope. I guess it was a...copycat."

I start snickering. "Man...that's messed up,"

She thumps the folder against my chest. "Ready to go?"

"Yep," I sling my arm around her shoulder and we walk to the car, and drive to the beginning of the rest of our lives.