Chapter 4: The Meeting of Mates

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight or any other recognizable works.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Walking towards the designated meeting area, I debated my already questionable sanity once more as I sighted Marcus standing next to two other men.

I hadn't really wanted anything to do with Marcus after that vision the other day. But after what happened last night...I had had a split-second change of heart so to speak.

—Flashback—

Making a muffled, groaning growl, I shifted my face in the comfortable hotel pillow. Something kept persistently buzzing nearby, making a considerable racket and shining way too brightly according to my sleep-loving senses and muddled brain right now. Seriously, why did it always feel like some evil device was conspiring against all my attempts to have pure, unhindered sleep? Was a ban on nightly disturbances too much to ask?

Apparently.

Another low and miserable moaning sound made its way from my throat as I shifted some more, taking my fist and slamming it into the bed next to me in a clear message: Shut the hell up and let me sleep. It was a habit that had been born from a want to remain in the land of dreams and whiny, overly hungry cats that don't understand the difference between 3:00 AM and 6:00 PM.

Thankfully, the noise cut out a second later, and the light dimmed. Had I been more aware, I probably would have been thanking whatever deity that came to mind, who presided over blissful, undisturbed sleep. But as it stood, I merely contented myself to enjoying the miracle called sleeping in silence, acting very much like a cat after gorging itself on a turkey feast.

Be that as it may though, I almost managed to fall completely asleep once more when that damn noise started up again!

What the hell is wrong with people?! And society wonder why New Yorkers were classified as rude. Maybe it's because they're getting woken up all the damn time! Anyone ever think of that?

Almost ready to give up my career in law enforcement just so I could murder somebody, I belatedly realized that the culprit was none other than my own phone, with the ringtone finally reaching me through the fog of slumber as awareness slowly trickled back. Cracking open a bleary eye, I barely managed to make out the name on the caller ID as I snapped up the device with a fumbling hand, uncut nails displayed almost threateningly towards it as I answered. Of course, keeping in mind that the bedside clock said it was 3:42 AM right now in Italy, my greeting to the caller was anything but polite.

"What the fuck do you want Renée?" I snapped, rolling over so that I lay on my back. What part of 'I never want to talk to you again' did the thick-headed woman not understand? The 'never want to talk' or the part where I actually slapped her? You'd have to be a complete dunderhead to not understand the crystal-fucking-clear message I laid out last time I ever saw the woman. How the hell did she even get my numb— Dad. He must have passed it along through Isabella or something. Dammit.

"Ambrosia Merle Raven Swan! Don't you dare talk to me like that!" my oh-so-loving mother, (note sarcasm), hollered through the earpiece, apparently oblivious to the fact I had just been asleep!

"I repeat: What. Do. You. Want?"

The woman on the other end scoffed. "I was just calling to see if you heard the news about Bella going to stay with your father for the remainder of high school."

My lips formed a hard scowl. It was always about Bella when it came to my mom. Bella this. Bella that. Bella is just soooooo fantastic. Me? I'm just cheap air compared to precious Bella. Ugh! And people (*cough* dad *cough*) wondered why I had such a rocky relationship with the feminine portion of my family.