十八

"First, you candidates from the village hidden in the sound, knock it off! Who told you you could fight? You wanna be failed before we've even begun?"

    "Sorry, it's our first time," Dosu apologized insincerely. "Guess we're a little jumpy, sir." Ibiki smirked slightly. "I'll say this once, so listen up! There will be no combat between candidates! No attacking each other without permission from your proctor. And even then, the use of fatal force is strictly prohibited. Anyone who even thinks of messing with me will be disqualified immediately. Got it?"

    "No fatal force? That's no fun." The proctors were amused by Zaku's statement. "Now, if we're ready we'll proceed to the first stage of the chunin exams. Hand over your paperwork. In return you'll each be given a number. This number determines where you will sit. We'll start the written test once you're all seated." Naruto instantly panicked at the mention of a written test.

    Once I got my number I made my way to my seat which just so happened to be right next to Gaara's. "Hi Gaara, we meet again. Good luck on the test, I know you'll ace it! And maybe afterwards, I can get to know you," I offered. He shifted his gaze over to me without turning his head. He just stared at me in silence before closing his eyes and dipping his head slightly before looking back at the front. My eyes lit up. "I'll take that as a yes."

    "Everyone eyes front. There are a few rules you need to be aware of. And I won't answer any questions, so you'd better pay attention the first time around!" Ibiki announced. "Alright, rule number one is this. The written part of the exam is conducted on a point reduction system. Contrary to what some of you may be used to, you all begin the test with a perfect score of ten points. One point will be deducted for each answer you get wrong. So if you miss three, your final score will be seven. Rule number two, teams will pass or fail based on the total scores of all members."

    "What?! Wait a second!! You're saying we all get scored-as a team?!" Pinky screeched. That's literally what he just said... "Silence! I have my reasons. So shut up and listen!" Damnnnn, Pinky is just always at the center of a roast. "Rule number three, the sentinels you see positioned around the room are there to watch you carefully for any signs of cheating. And for every incident they spot, they will subtract two points from the culprit's score." There where some 'whats' and 'huh's from around the room. "Be warned: their eyes are extremely sharp. And if they catch you five times, you'll be dismissed before the tests are even scored. Anyone fool enough to be caught cheating by the sentinels doesn't deserve to be here. If you wanna be considered shinobi, then show us what exceptional shinobi you can be. One more thing, if any candidate should get a zero and fail the test, then the entire team fails." Sakura screamed from across the room.

    "The final question won't be given out until fifteen minutes before the end of the testing period. You'll have one hour total." The clock ticked. "Begin!"

    Everyone started flipping their papers over and starting the test. I read the questions carefully. You know, I could either sit here and take a nap until the tenth question, or I could actually participate. But is it really worth it? I sighed, ultimately deciding to participate, just for the fun of it. Maybe I could make some ice mirrors or something? No, if I remember correctly Tenten cheats off of mirrors. I have to be original. I guess I've really got no other option than to use my new technique, telepathy. But who to ask? Naruto doesn't know anything, Pinky's mind is going to get infiltrated by Ino, and Eboy...yeah no. Maybe I could ask Gaara? No, I doubt he'd be willing to talk.

And then it struck me.

    It was simple really. I'd just connect my telepathy to someone's mind and simply listen to their thoughts and-boom! I'm a genius hehe.