Chapter 34

Zoe's POV

-----------------------------

I scream at the top of my lungs and try to stand up but my legs give out. I sit beside the door closing my eyes and screaming when I feel a cool breeze from beside me, I look over and the door is open and Chloe is standing in the doorway looking at Alex laying on the ground. I manage to pull myself up, and get to Chloe. I push her out of the house and back into the driveway with all the force I have in me.

"Chloe call 911." I throw her my phone.

She stands in shock as she just witnessed her brother, the only family member to care for her lying on the ground surrounded by his own blood. "Chloe please call them!" I scream.

She takes the phone with her shaking hands, calling the police while I go inside and try to help Alex.

I walk over to him and bend down beside him. "Alex, please stay with me." I say to him.

He doesn't move, at all.

"Alex please." I sob as my tears fall on his white almost all red collared shirt.

I dare to put my hand on his heart, but when I don't feel anything I put my face in my hands, and I cry loudly loosing my breath. I don't move from my spot as I wait for the police to show up. Chloe is still outside, and I should probably be with her but I can't get myself to leave him. After what feels like hours I hear sirens in the distance, getting closer. Suddenly the front door bursts open and the ambulance comes rushing into the tiny house, and the police grabs Mrs. Peterson who sits in the corner of the room hugging her knees, and crying.

**

I sit in the hospital with all of mine and Alex's friends and my family. We've been here for about 2 hours waiting to hear what the doctor has to say. We all have been crying, and trying to comfort each other but nothing seems to help any of us.

Finally I see a man in light blue scrubs walk over to us with a nurse beside him.

"Alex Peterson's family?" He looks around the waiting room. Seth, Nate, Autumn, Kara, Chloe, Andy, my mom and dad and I all stand up.

"You're all Alex's family?" He looks at all of us confused.

"Alex doesn't have any family other than his little sister." I speak up with a shaky voice.

"Well, you're all close friends right?" He looks between us.

"Yes." we all answer wanting him to get on with the news.

"Well, I wanted to inform you all that," He takes a deep breath.

"We're sorry, but the gun shot wasn't exactly through his heart but it was very close, and for that he didn't make it. We tried our best to save him, but it looks like whatever strength he had left, ran out." He looks down at his feet not making eye contact.

As soon at those words hit me, I loose my breath. All the tears come back to me, because for a second I thought it was going to be a close call, and he would make it. But my worst fear came true, and he didn't. I sit down in the cushioned chair in the waiting room, and put my head between my knees. I don't care about being the loudest person in the room, I just let all my emotions go.

I feel people hugging me, and telling me "It's going to be okay." But It's not. It's never going to be okay.

I suddenly feel a wave of anger rush over me. I stand from my seat and push past everyone in my way. I run out of the emergency room and into the parking lot. I stop running once I get to my car, I get inside and slam the door closed. I sit in the seat and bang my fist on the steering wheel until my hand is throbbing, and I look down at myself and scream.