Chapter 6

“What are you doing here?” I asked, totally appalled. The last time I checked, (which was last night), he was definitely in Vegas.

“Isn’t it obvious? I came to see you of course.” He stood up and walked over to me, stopping about a foot away. His smile gleamed in the light and his green eyes were shining. It looked like he was way too excited to be here in my school. A thought occurred to me, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Where’s my truck?” I crossed my arms, giving him the “you’re dead to me” face I was pretty good at.

“I think I left it in Vegas.”

“You what?” I screeched, my eyes going wide. There was no way this guy was for real.

“Yeah, I think you’re going to have to go get it yourself.” He nodded solemnly, and put on a sad face.

“I-I don’t have that kind of money!” I protested, anxiety working it’s way through my body. The cost for Abby and I flying to Vegas, and then driving all the way back, was not something that I could just pull out of my back pocket.

Josh was staring at me inquisitively, and I looked up to meet his gaze. A small smile broke through, and he started laughing heartily.

“What’s so funny? I’m trying not to hit you at the moment.” I told him.

“I’m just teasing, you know. Of course I’d go with you.”

“I don’t want you to go with me. I can handle myself.” I scoffed, and flipped my hair over my shoulder.

“Oh really? So if a drunk man came and started hitting on you, what would you do?” He crossed his arms and leaned back against the table, waiting for my response.

“I’d pepper spray him.” I said confidently.

“Okay. And what if he did this?” Josh said. I glanced up just to see him jump from his position and come at me, grabbing my arms and holding them behind my back. I quickly brought my knee up, but he saw it coming and pushed my leg aside, pushing me against the door.

“Then I’d hate him forever.” I replied, my voice full of venom. I glared at Josh’s face which was so close to mine, until he let me go and backed away, shaking his head.

“Hating him wouldn’t save you from what he would do.” Josh whispered, and I could tell he meant it. He was actually worried about me.

“Is everything okay in there?” Ms. Redberry’s muffled voice came through the door, and Josh chuckled.

“Everything’s fine.” I replied, still upset he pulled that stunt.

I turned around and opened the door, seeing the secretary’s worried face as she stood outside the room.

“I heard some noises, I thought you guys were fighting.” She looked at me through her glasses, and then her eyes flicked to Josh.

“Nope, everything is just dandy, isn’t that right Biscuit?” Josh threw his arm around my shoulders, and brought my body into his for a hug.

“Just peachy.” I confirmed, although if she paid any attention she would notice my sarcasm. My voice was muffled by his chest, and I tilted my face upwards so I could breathe clearly.

“Alright…” She cast us one last look and then trotted off, disappearing behind the corner.

“Up you go,” Josh grunted, bending down and throwing me over his shoulder. My stomach landed uncomfortably on his shoulder, and he placed an arm around my waist to make sure I didn’t fall. I was hit with a sudden sense of vertigo, and all the blood started rushing to my head.