Chapter 10

1,209,600 seconds.

That’s how long it’s been since I last saw Josh Ryan.

I chewed on the end of my pen, hoping somehow I’d wake up from this horrible dream. My math teacher was talking in a different language that the rest of the class seemed to be understanding, while I sat here staring at my blank paper. How was I supposed to absorb anything, when my mind was distracted?

“Miss Richards, what did you get as the answer?”

I quickly glanced up at the board, and saw a basic integration problem.

“Uh, x squared plus seven x plus C?” I said, quickly doing it in my head. She looked at me surprised, and then continued on with her lesson. I got lucky, really lucky. If it was any of those trig identities, I would’ve just died.

The bell rang, and I hastily gathered my things. I threw my pen and notebook into my backpack, and picked up the Calculus textbook into my arms. My head buzzed, and I stopped moving, trying to quell the sense of vertigo I was hit with. I brought a hand up to my forehead, rubbing it slowly. The dizziness subsided, and I shook my head. As I left the room, I glanced back to see the teacher watching my exit.

“Hey Anna, you ready to go?” Jacob asked, and I quickly glanced at him.

“Oh yeah, thanks.” I said, shifting the backpack over my shoulders. We headed out to his car, as was the routine ever since I returned from Vegas. I told everyone the truck was in the shop, and Jacob offered to drive me while it was getting fixed.

I didn’t know how to tell him he’d be driving me for the rest of the year, so right now my main priority was to get myself a car.

“Thanks again, Jake.” I sighed, settling down in the passenger seat. He patted my head affectionately before twisting around to back out of his spot.

“Are you girls free this afternoon? We’re having a barbeque at Kayla’s, and all our friends are invited.” He asked, once we got onto the main road.

“No, Abby has a doctor’s checkup.” I informed him, and he nodded in understanding.

“Well if you ever need anything—,”

“I can ask you. I know. Thank you.” I said, cutting him off and smiling. We sat in tense silence until he pulled up in front of Abby’s daycare.

“Do you want to wait, or…?” I looked at him quickly as I got out of the car, already heading to the building.

“I’ll be fine here, just go get your sister.” He nodded at me encouragingly, and I closed the door. On my way to the entrance, I caught a yawn that slipped through my mouth.

Everyday, for the past two weeks, my routine was the same. I’d get Abby and I ready for the day, Jake would pick us up, and then eight hours later, he’d drop us off. I made her dinner and she went to bed, usually after me singing her a song. I, however, seemed to have developed a slight sleeping disorder. No matter how hard I tried, my mind wouldn’t let me sleep. I’ve spent many nights the past week just laying down and watching Abby sleep, wishing I could do the same.

As I opened the glass doors to her daycare, I felt a warmth start churning in my gut. That feeling alone told me that today would not be the same. Goosebumps covered my arms, but I didn’t feel afraid. Something was different.

“Hello Anna dear.” Ms. Elizabeth greeted me warmly from behind the desk. I smiled at her and went to the small computer, signing Abby out.

“Is she in the room?” I asked the elderly woman, and she shook her head. Her grey eyes were alight with mischief.