Chapter 8

The first thing I felt was surprise. I knew it was coming, from the look in his eyes and the way he was holding me. The next thing I realized was this kiss was nothing like the one he gave me a few weeks ago, when my friends caught us. His other hand circled around my waist as well, pulling me impossibly closer to him. His lips moved against mine, and nervousness seeped through my body. I pulled my head away, shaking it.

“What’s wrong?” Josh whispered, his face still close to mine.

“I can’t do this.” I told him honestly, trying to find a way out of his arms. His muscles flexed as he realized what I was doing, and he locked his hands behind me, preventing any escape.

“Why not? Abby is sleeping. She won’t even know.” He brought his face closer, aiming for another kiss. I turned sideways, effectively blocking his attempt. I felt his breath on my neck, and I had the strangest desire to shiver.

“No, I mean, I can’t do this at all. Get off of me.” I pushed my hands against his chest, and he let out a groan as he let go of my waist. By now, my face was probably beet red, and I was glad there was such dim lighting. Josh hadn’t moved from where he was standing, though, so I backed up a few steps to put some distance between us. I took a seat on the couch and sighed, burying my face in my hands. I was so inexperienced; I didn’t even know how to kiss a guy. Josh seemed to know what he was doing, but how embarrassing would it be if I messed up?

“Is it something I did?” Josh asked quietly, stepping closer to me. I moved my face from my hands, and looked up at him. He looked confused, and he took a seat on the coffee table in front of me.

“No, it’s definitely not you. Although I still need my truck back and I hate you for making me sing.” I confessed.

“Then what is it?” He propped his elbows on his knees, and leaned towards me. His dark eyes were looking into mine intently, and the top two buttons on his shirt were open. How did I not notice that before?

“Nothing.” I told him absentmindedly, staring at his chest. I flicked my eyes up to his, and I saw his eyebrows raised. I felt heat rise to my cheeks, and I looked away. I shouldn’t have been checking him out, especially after refusing to kiss him.

“Look Anna, I know you want me.” He got off of the coffee table placed his hands on either side of my head, leaning onto the couch in front of me. I felt my body get warmer at his proximity, and I forced a scoff.

“Are you kidding? You were my friend a long time ago. Now you’re a conceited jerk who stole my sister and dragged me to Vegas.” I folded my arms across my chest and studied my converse, noticing I got a really big dirt mark on the white part.

“People change! Are you telling me you didn’t? Because I know for a fact you’re no longer the scrawny little biscuit eater you were twelve years ago.” One of his hands reached down to my chin, forcing my head up to meet his eyes.

“I noticed. You’re a superstar now.” I grumbled, staring at his nose instead of his eyes.

“Look at me, god damn it!” He demanded, and then for the second time, he kissed me. I closed my eyes out of instinct, and I felt that familiar heart flutter in my chest. I didn’t know how to kiss back, but somehow, my lips were moving with his. He reached down to my waist and pulled me up, flipping our positions.

“Josh, what are you—,” I pulled away from him, but after he pulled my head back down to meet his, I forgot what I was saying. His body felt incredibly muscular under mine, and his hands were roaming my back, never going lower. He respected me, and just wanted a kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and when he deepened the kiss, I pulled away, burying my face in his neck.