The Bat

And then I'm no longer walking. I'm in my own body, consciously aware of each movement and sound. I feel no effect of having gone through five years in the tower of fate, though I've retained all manner of cosmic and occult knowledge. In fact, it feels like nearly no time has passed at all.

Best of all, Nabu has faded from my vision.

An explosion rattles the ground. Alarms all around Arkham blare loudly. Guards run into position. An officer places a bag over my head, then Ed's. My friend furiously flails and fights his kidnapper to no use.

"Sara!" Dr. Quinzel screams. "Release her, immediatey!"

"Sorry, doc. I'm on special orders from Oswald Cobblepot, himself!"

Harleen heaves an understanding, amused sigh. "Be careful with her."

Our guards remove our blindfolds once we're safe in a warehouse far away from the asylum.

I gasp upon laying eyes on my friend. "Ed!"

The Riddler is just as surprised to see me normal. "Sara? Are you still cuckoo?"

My fingers wriggle under my command. My mouth no longer whispers tales of the vast universe. I feel myself. Everything is still intact. My dirty blonde hair drips down to my waist, and perhaps it's been a while since I've been fed a good meal, but I'm alive. I'm alive and free at last, but not quite.

My fingers find the back of my neck. The nano bomb is still blinking inside my skull. Before I do anything else, I'll have to find the one person who might be able to remove it.

"I think so," I say. "What about you?"

He struggles to speak. Instead, he hugs me. "I'm just happy you're back. You have to tell Oswald!"

"I will, I will. I have to find Lucius Fox, first. I need him to take out the bomb from my head. I can't return to the Suicide Squad."

Riddler adjusts his bowler hat upon his brow. "Would you like me to accompany you?"

"I think I can handle it." I nod to the briefcase before us. "Besides, it looks like you've got a date with destiny."

I travel through the warehouse doors and breathe in the fresh scent of the docks. Gotham's bay streams to my right. The city bustles and hums to my left. Pride and joy surge in my chest. I release a loud scream to the sky. Sera Gordon is--

No, that's not right.

Sera Gordon is dead.

Sara Lance is alive and rising. She's here and ready to take on this big, wide world.

I use my speed to my advantage and run through the streets of my home. My chest is free and light. My heart pounds with excitement. I've never felt so free.

Where would Lucius Fox be? My eyes flutter shut amongst the city-goers. When I left him, he was a tech for Wayne Enterprise. Residual divination grants me the sight to see the older man in his office in the lower levels of the newly built Wayne Tower.

Wasting no time, I enter the tower and call upon the elevator to Wayne's Research and Development levels. Perhaps I should've thought about changing out of my inmate attire, for I'm given many strange looks by fellow employees and guests.

I don't have the time nor care to pay attention to them.

Amanda Waller is crawling her way out of the dog pen as we speak. She's pulling on every government string and blackmail to free herself from prison, but she won't stop there. No, Amanda won't stop until she's ruling Task Force X once more. She's learned from her mistakes, and she's determined not to make them again. I can't let her reel me back in.