My Hero is a Legend

Steven's P.O.V

"Wow! This is much bigger than the human colony on Homeworld!" Spinel marvels, looking around at all the busy shops making up Beach City.

"It certainly is, isn't it?" I chuckle, watching people go about their day as we stand idly on the sidewalk, "And this is nothing compared to the rest of the world".

Stars sparkle in Spinel's eyes.

"Will you show me the world one day, Steven?" She asks, almost begging.

Smiling, I grab hold of her hand, my thumb grazing her palm.

"Of course, Nelly. I'll do anything for you" I tell her as she grins and bounces up and down excitedly, "So, what do you want to see first?"

"Well, I really don't know this place that well, Steven, so could you just take me through what a normal day is like for you?" Spinel asks back.

I pause and stir on her words for a moment. A normal day for me? I almost don't know if there is even such a thing. With the amount of stuff I have to deal with from both the human side and the gem side of my life, normal's not even close to defining me. Not to mention the fact that a lot of things have changed, leaving my regular routine a bit empty and lacking in some areas. But Spinel wanted me to show her what a regular day was like for me, so I gotta come up with something.

"Alright then, I'll show you the Big Donut first" I finally say, holding her hand and leading her down the sidewalk.

"Ooo, what's that?" Spinel asks all giddy.

"It's not so much a what than a where, Spinel" I explain, the shop coming into view, "Simply, it's a place that has my favorite breakfast delicacy that I've enjoyed for as long as I can remember".

"So it's something you eat, then?" She asks curiously.

"Exactly" I confirm.

We then cross the street, looking both ways as Pearl would've wanted, and step onto the restaurant's grounds. Inside and outside are empty as usual, the only person working today being Sadie. I wonder how she'll react to me being back, seeing as word usually spreads fast around here and the Gems probably made it known when I left to begin with.

"Welcome to the Big Donut, what can I get for you?" Sadie asks, her voice sounding sad.

"Just the usual for me, Sadie" I reply, seeing if she'll catch on.

"Ok, three chocolate covered donuts coming right up, Steven" She begins, moving to grab them before freezing and looking back, "Steven?!"

"Hey, Sadie" I smile, "I'm back".

She's so happy she goes over the counter to hug me. Sadie embraces me so tight that I actually fear of running out of oxygen, but then she lets go of me before I beg her to stop. Good thing too because Spinel is looking pretty jealous right about now. I might have to talk with her about this later, along with giving her some more hugs so she doesn't feel left out.

"Steven! I'm so glad you're back. The whole town's not been the same without you. Heck, I had to talk Lars out of going after you in his ship the other day!" Sadie chuckles.

"How are you two doing by the way?" I ask, keeping myself from laughing.

"Oh, you know, we're going steady" Sadie replies, hiding her hands behind her back, "I mean, as steady as can be for two people that have differing interests".

I frown, sensing some uneasy tension here.

"What do you mean?" I inquire.

"Well, Lars was talking about going back into space, saying that it was his true calling. I'd love for him to pursue his passion, just as much as he'd love me to pursue my passion with the Suspects, but I don't want him to go. I missed him so much when he left the first time and now that we're dating, I can't even imagine how much it would hurt seeing him leave again" Sadie bites her lip, looking down.