Fallen Hero

So I this is how Barry's death played out...like, sort of. :

(also, it's a one-shot)

With the crisis looming over them, setting a dark and gloomy atmosphere, Caitlin, Cisco, Ralph and Iris all stand in a circle, Barry in between them.

"Hey." The voice fades in and out, barely reaching his ear drums. "Hey." The same voice calls out again, kneeling down next to him. "Barry?" He forces his eyes open, not letting them close. "It's okay..." He nods, calming down and getting more comfortable with the cold, hard ground beneath him.

He feels a cold touch on his shoulder. "You did it." She was holding back tears, just like everyone else. "Barry, you did it." Iris says and Barry's eyes shut closed. Caitlin shakes her head violently, immediately getting on the ground next to him.

"No, no, no, no..." Her eyes shimmer, the tears already falling as she rambles. "No, no, no, no please..." She pleads, checking hurriedly for a pulse. "Caitlin." Cisco puts a hand on her shoulder, slightly pushing her away. She jerks away from him and back to Barry.

"He isn't gone, he isn't..." She doesn't finish the sentence. Iris wipes a tear from her face, kissing her husband's forehead. "He is, Caitlin. And he died a hero." her voice broke at the last word. "...he saved us." She brought her hand to where Caitlin's was on Barry's chest, and held it.

"He's a hero." Caitlin looked down, her tears still a streaming river on her face. "Was." Caitlin corrected bitterly. She looked back at the fallen speedster before her. "He was...." Iris nodded solemnly, taking in the form of her loved one...

"The flash is gone." Caitlin heard the voices of all the other people who helped him through the crisis, put an effort into saving the word. She brought a finger to her forehead, trying to soothe the ever growing headache.

She heard the voice of her salty persona ringing in the back of her mind. "Caity, I know this isn't what we thought was going to happen...but maybe we should accept it?" She shook her head distastefully at the thought.

Barry Allen was lifeless...one of her biggest nightmares on display for her. "We tried, Caitlin. there was no stopping it." Frost would say. She got up, an idea playing in her mind. "What if..." She stood up, a light bulb forming around her head, frost emitting from her hands.

Iris looked up to her, creases on her forehead placed there by confusion. "What?" She asked innocently. "What if I froze his body?" Caitlin asked and Cisco shook his head. "We don't know if that'll work-"

"I have to try something..." She whispered through tears and Iris nodded. "He's already dead, what more could you do?" Ralph mumbled, eyes glued to the ground. Caitlin took a deep breath, in denial completely of the situation at hand.

"Do it." Iris said softly, letting go of her husband's cold hand. Caitlin shut her eyes, frost pouring from her finger tips. She opened them and took a step forward to Barry, getting on her knees and clutching his hand.

Iris backed away, wiping her tears with her arm and standing next to Ralph, who put an arm around her shoulder. "It's going to be alright." he whispered into her hair and she nodded. "I hope so..." She did. She didn't want to lose anyone. Not after Nora...

Caitlin starting freezing Barry's hand, frost running through his veins like a virus.

Team Flash watched, Killer Frost standing next to Cisco. She took a step forward and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It will work, Caity." She didn't know if she was talking to Caitlin or herself.