Caligula

Basic Info: Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus (AKA Caligula) 3rd Roman Emperor Ruled from 37-41ADWives- Milonia Caesonia, Lillian Paulina, Livia Orestilla, Junia Claudilla Parents- Germanicus and Agrippina the Elder

Basic Info:
Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus (AKA Caligula)
3rd Roman Emperor
Ruled from 37-41AD
Wives- Milonia Caesonia, Lillian Paulina, Livia Orestilla, Junia Claudilla
Parents- Germanicus and Agrippina the Elder

Childhood:
Caligula was born in 12 A.D. on August 12, and was the third son of Germanicus and Agrippina. During the majority of his childhood, they lived at his father's post on the Rhine. His full name was Gaius Julius Caesar, after THE Julius Caesar, his famous relative.

He spent a lot of time following his father around. His parents even dressed him in a miniature military uniform.

After the death of his father in 17 A.D., all eyes turned to Caligula. They wanted him to be ruler and thought he was the most suitable out of all his siblings.

His mother and brothers were accused of treason. All of them died in prison or exile.

His grandmother looked after him, but when she died, he moved in with his great uncle, Tiberius. Caligula and his cousin, Gellemus were both adopted by Tiberius and made equal heirs.

He lived under Tiberius' care for six years and hated the man, but was reportedly very good at hiding it. At one point, he reportedly plotted to kill Tiberius in order to avenge his mother and brothers.

Rise:

Tiberius died on March 16, 37 AD. All of his estate and titles were left to Caligula and Gellemus. They were supposed to serve as joint heirs to the throne of Rome.

Caligula rose to power and was greatly loved and admired by all. The people called him "our baby" or "our star." He was loved because of who his parents were, rather than his own personality.

He granted bonuses to the military and declared that treason trials were no longer a thing. He destroyed Tiberius' treason papers and recalled he people who had been exiled. He also helped the poor people who had been harmed by the taxation system, and put on lavish and expensive gladiator shows. (Everything seems great so far, right?)

He fell ill around October of 37 AD, and some beloved he had been poisoned, but he made a quick recovery.

Turn for the Worst:
It isn't clear if Caligula was poisoned, or simply sick, but one thing was clear: the sickness changed him. No one knows if it altered something in his brain or just made him realize his own mortality, but after his recovery, Caligula became vicious.

He had Gellemus executed, outraging many people. Gellemus' grandmother was so heartbroken that she committed suicide (although some suggest Caligula poisoned her). He also executed his father in law and brother in law.