v | the dark baptism

ACT I — CHAPTER V
Tʜᴇ Dᴀʀᴋ Bᴀᴘᴛɪsᴍ

───  ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅  ───

F R I D A Y
OCTOBER 31

H A L L O W E E N
LYDIA'S BIRTHDAY

─ ༓ ─

When Lydia Spellman woke up on October 31, the first thing she felt was dread.

It was her birthday, and normally when one turns sixteen, they're fairly excited.

But not Lydia, because not only was it her birthday, it was also the day of her Dark Baptism, and she'd have to say goodbye to her friends. She'd have to say goodbye to Susie.

She sat up and looked to her left, and saw Sabrina was awake as well. They both got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to prepare for the day's events.

When they exited the bathroom, Lydia saw her Aunt Hilda with two dresses.

"Aunt Hilda," Sabrina greeted. She looked over at the twins.

"Morning!" she said, as happy as can be.

"Those dresses are beautiful," Sabrina said.

The dresses were both white, yet held slight differences. One had more lace and short sleeves, while the other had no lace and long sleeves. They both fell at mid-calf.

"This one is your mom's wedding dress, and this one she wore to her bridal shower," Hilda explained.

Lydia, now knowing the dresses' connection to their mother, suddenly felt herself longing to wear one of the dresses.

"They lived such a fairy tale, your parents did," Hilda said, "I thought you two might wear them tonight, at your Baptisms."

"Aren't witches only allowed to wear black to their Baptism?" Sabrina questioned.

"Oh, that hasn't been a rule for years, decades," Hilda told them.

The twins went over to their beds and sat down, admiring the dresses from afar. Yet, as much as Lydia wanted to wear one of them, she couldn't help but ignore the fear for the night and her future.

Hilda, sensing their uneasiness, walked over to them, "You know, you have nothing to be afraid of, my darlings. I mean, your Aunt Zelda and I are going to be there. And we'll make sure nothing bad happens to you. And then, you know, you'll see. Tomorrow, you're both gonna wake up, and, well, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place."

Hilda gave out a chuckle. Lydia gave her aunt a small smile. She could see Hilda was really trying to make the twins feel better, but it wasn't working. After all, they knew that those were really Zelda's words, not Hilda's.

"Do you believe me?" Hilda asked, "My sweet, brave girls?"

Sabrina didn't answer. Lydia nodded, weakly.

"I love you," Hilda said. She flashed the twins a large smile and then got up and left the room.

The twins looked at each other. Lydia knew that they both had to sign their names, and she was doing her best to accept their fate.