Chapter 21

Sanemi pressed her against the wall and leaned closer.
"Didn't I tell you not to initiate any conversation?!"
"But didn't you say to go along?"
"That's not what I meant! And not in front of Tanaka-San!"
Chiaku bit her lip and apologised immediately. Sanemi stared at her red blood lips and gulped. A strong feeling suddenly stirred within him. He brought a thumb and traced her lower lip, parting it slightly.
"Sanemi?"
The wind pillar snapped out of his thoughts and looked away. He quickly turned his back on her to hide his reddened face.
"Sorry. We should go."
He offered his hand discreetly. Chiaku smiled and held his hand as they start walking together.
They reached a stall that sells goods and souvenirs, however, it is full of customers today. The wind pillar asked her to stay behind. "Don't go anywhere, I mean it."
Chiaku shook her head in reply and patiently waited. When Sanemi is about to return, he heard a bunch of boys talking and looking at her direction. In fact, ever since they arrived at the market, lots of people keep on staring at the beauty. Some with eyes sparkling, others are blushing.
"Look! That's a new face. I wonder if she's from here."
"She's really pretty."
"Look at that kimono. She must come from a well-off family."
"Let's talk to her!"
Sanemi hit the wall atop of her, startling the fairy. He gave the boys a death glare and they scrambled off immediately.
"S-Sanemi?"
The scowling pillar did not respond and pulled her hand. She looks at him in confusion but didn't say anything as they start walking away from people.

"Hmm! Now he's acting like a jealous husband!" Rengoku and Uzui grinned at each other.
"Chiaku-san is really pretty. I won't be surprised if she suddenly becomes popular." The boys agreed with Murata. Genya smiled secretly, thinking how his brother is acting. It is obvious he has feelings for her.

A crow landed on Sanemi's shoulder, saying that they should go back fast and that he is to take Chiaku back with him before sundown. Something urgent has happened and that they are not to leave Sanemi's house until sunrise. The wind pillar carried Chiaku in a bridal style. Ignoring her yelp, he did as he was told.
"He's so fast! We won't be able to catch up with them!" Zenitsu exclaimed.
"We don't have to." Tengen told them.
"But something bad must have happened!" Tanjiro said worriedly.
The two pillars simply grinned back, Tokito looked at them stoically.
The boys raised their brows in question but the three hashira did not respond.

The couple arrived at Shinazugawa's place right before sundown. He settled her down at the porch and took their things inside. The orange sunset can be seen from Shinazuga's place. Entranced by its beauty, she sat down as she waits for it to fade. Sanemi watches from behind and smiled faintly as her skin sparkles with the light. The wind sat down beside her and dropped something on her lap. It is a necklace with a small pouch. The pendant has a familiar and sweet smell in it.
"That's wisteria, a demon repellant. Keep that close to you."
Chiaku smiled back. "Thank you. Will you put it on me?"
"Tsk. Fine."
She placed her hair sideways as Sanemi puts on the necklace. Seeing and touching her pale neck makes him feel strange. His eyes widened when he saw her smiling face up close. Without thinking, he pressed his lips against hers, creating a sudden spark between them. Chiaku closed her eyes as she kisses him back.

A crow came back to the headquarters relaying a message to Shinobu, saying that Shinazugawa has come home with Chiaku. Shinobu smiled as she watches Obanai and Mitsuri playing with the hyperactive children.