Chapter 3

Once inside, Mrs. Misaki immediately told Cana and I were haunteds. Big surprise. She explained that we have to make our way to the clinic for an examination and we will be on our way to the shelter.

"Shall we?" she said, gesturing to the door. But first I asked if I can see the picture.

She nodded at the photographer, who showed his digital camera to us. First was Cana's. It was like someone photoshopped her head out of the picture. From the base of her collar and up, there was nothing but the clock on the background, which wouldn't be seen if her head was there. Then, mine, which was basically the same thing. Okay, seeing your headless body, even in a picture, definitely a bit creepy. But I've seen worse.

After that, we walked out of the door. We tailed behind Mrs. Misaki as she escorts us to the clinic. More of a formality than necessary. We passed by classrooms full of students hunched down on test papers. For them, the exams continue. Sucks to be them. I thought. It's not that I didn't want to take the exam, I did study and everything. But if I was given a choice not to, I would take it. We reached the clinic and went inside.

It was like any standard, school clinic. White beds, divided by blue curtains. A wooden cabinet filled with bottles and boxes of medicine. On the wall was a blackboard with charts of the muscular, skeletal, and a whole lot of other systems of the human body pinned. By the window, there was a long desk with a potted planted and a picture frame facing backward from us. Behind it, sitting was the doctor, examining a folder that must be from the loosely stacked pile on his desk.

"Good morning Dr. Bernardo," Mrs. Misaki greeted. The doctor went around the table to greet us. He had short black hair that was brushed to one side and neatly trimmed mustache. Under his white lab coat was a blue shirt. A stethoscope was hanging around his neck. I've always wondered why doctors do that. Is it mandatory? Was "Wear your stethoscope around your shoulders at all times." part of their job description?

Cana leaped to Dr. Bernardo and gave him a bear hug. "Dad!"

Dr. Bernardo hugged her tight in return. "Hi, sweetie," he said. When they break away, Cana had the biggest smile. Now I never made the connection before, I mean, there are a lot of Bernardos in this school so this is a surprise for me.

"Doctor," Mrs. Misaki said. "They're here for their physical."

Another guy came up to us too. A friendly-looking dude with dark skin and long, springy black hair. He's wearing a standard blue uniform for school nurses. On his left chest, there was a tag that reads: Aaron Johnson.

"I see." Dr. Bernardo said. He cast his eyes downwards. He pulled Cana in, wrapping his arms around his precious daughter. No words exchanged between them. Seeing Cana here was enough explanation.

Mrs. Misaki cleared her throat. "Doctor. Please."

"Right." Dr. Bernardo replied. He told us to store our bags behind his desk and ordered Aaron to get us ready, at which point Mrs. Misaki took her leave. It was all pretty basic stuff. Exactly what you would expect from a physical examination. 

First was a questionnaire about our medical history. Then they recorded our height and weight. After that, the doctor wrapped a dark fabric that squeezes my arm, then Cana and I took turns reading a chart with a black, plastic spoon covering one of my eyes, and sat still while Dr. Bernardo placed the cold, circular metal of his stethoscope on different points of my chest and back as he directs me when to inhale and exhale.

"And we're done," The school nurse, Aaron, said after drawing blood from my arm. He put a ball of cotton to stop the bleeding and fixed it in place with white, transparent tape. Immediately, I felt a bit light-headed. So when were asked to stay put, I didn't mind at all.

We had to wait, in case someone else was identified as haunted but most, if not everyone should already have finished taking their pictures while we were having our physical. And since no one else came here, that means that at this school, Cana and I are it. But still, Aaron volunteered to confirm with the other teachers.

Cana and Dr. Bernardo sat at one of the beds, talking about their favorite television shows. They were like best friends chatting over a cup of coffee. And by talking, I mean Cana babbles while her dad nods, occasionally giving a short comment or cracking up a joke. They both know that they won't be seeing each other for another month so they're stretching every second they have to make up for a month worth of bonding.

When Aaron came back, he saw the two and just stood in silence beside me. 

"Are you going to break that up?" I asked him.

He just smiled. "Let's give them a minute more. How do you feel?"

"Fine," I said. The floating feeling in my head was gone. Dr. Bernardo looked at our direction and Aaron took the chance to inform the doctor that no one else was coming, implying that we should get going now.

"Umm, sweetie," Dr. Bernardo said. He turned his attention back to Cana, who gave him one, last hug and said goodbye. Dr. Bernardo held Cana at arm's length. "I'll see you soon, okay?" he said. Cana nodded.

This time, it was Aaron who chaperoned us to our ride—a yellow van with black stripes. The words, Padua School Service were painted on its side.

"Take care, guys," Aaron said and turned. Our school driver slid the door opened and we climbed inside. After making sure the door is lock, he went to the front and started the car. The engine sputtered to life and we were on our way. I had my elbow on the armrest of the door's panel, propping up my chin as I stared out of the window, watching my school disappear from view.