Chapter 27

"Major!" Cana yelled, pointing at the Shade across the street.

"It's here," Major Coleman said though the phone. Our pick up was still nowhere to be seen. Leo immediately trained his flashlight to the Shade.

No effect.

We all followed suit. But even with all our lights combined, it didn't harm the Shade.

The Shade took a step forward and jumped down the concrete barrier. But the lights were green. A car slammed into the Shade, dragging the Shade with its front bumper a good distance away. The driver must have floored the brakes because the tires were squealing. The car started swerving, and then crashed into the concrete barrier, pinning the Shade. 

"It didn't work..." I said.

"The LRT," Major Coleman said.

"I thought we were supposed to avoid public places," Leo said.

"We have no choice. Now GO!" Major said.

We turned around and flew up the stairs. We didn't have any ticket. When we passed through the metal detectors, Major had a quick conversation with the security guards on duty. They made us use the side gate by the side of the automatic turnstiles instead. We caught the southbound train with its doors still open. There were already a lot of passengers fighting their way inside the already jam-packed car doors. But Major Coleman took us to the car reserved only for female passengers, so it wasn't as crowded and rowdy as the other cars. We hopped in as the doors were closing.

I kept my eyes on the stairs, expecting the head of the Shade to come into view as it climbed up. But the train lurched forward and I only saw wave after wave of commuters coming up. From the look of their faces, either they didn't noticed the commotion below or they couldn't care less. I leaned my back against the wall and slid down. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. The rest joined me on the cold, metal floor. Except for Major Coleman, who just grabbed hold of the handrails instead. He doesn't even look out of breath.

"Is five minutes rest too much to ask?" Cana complained.

We were so tired and freaked out that we almost didn't notice the judgmental stares we were getting from the passengers. Whatever they must be thinking about us now, I'm sure it's not nice. I'd probably react the same way if a bunch of teenagers tumbled inside, looking all sweaty and panicked. They must be thinking of not getting involved. And that would be the right decision.

But Major Coleman decided to address the issue. He immediately brought out his customer-service smile and explained that we four kids have agoraphobia. He was helping us overcome our fear by starting with a small crowd so he picked this car. Then he pulled his wallet out, flipped it open and flashed it like it was a badge.

The ladies leaned over to steal glances at us. Some offered kinds words, saying how we were all brave for choosing to face our fears. It was beyond ridiculous that we momentarily forgot the fact that the Shade was still on us.

I was startled by this development because of course, we had to act the part. Otherwise, we risk being found out as haunteds. I made a mental note to have a serious talk with Major about springing situations like this onto us.

I'm not much of an actor but we have no choice. So I thanked them in a small voice, keeping my head down and hugging myself tight that I was visibly shaking. That was the image I thought a terrified kid should look like, anyway. Leo was shaking all right, but I'm pretty sure that was because he was trying so hard not to laugh. Demi and Cana had no problem looking all scared and meek, which was no surprise considering the Shade just practically ambushed us. But Cana really sold it. She was actually crying. Weak, almost silent sobs. Real tears. Too real, that when the other passengers left us alone, I immediately turn over to her.