#2

The following morning was a busy mess. In the early hours, Rachel spent a good hour in the kitchen with only birdsong to keep her company. The voice was there too, of course, but she'd learnt a long time ago to accept that complete loneliness was impossible. Despite the grogginess she felt, Rachel managed to make something presentable for breakfast and went to wake her mother up. She jogged up the carpeted stairs, stopping short just as she reached her mother's door. For some reason, the white wood seemed imposing.

'What's the hold-up? Get in, wake her up, and get out.'

'I just realised; this is the last day I'll be able to just barge in like this.'

'How so?'

'Mr Fernandez is going to be living here.'

'Geoff?' Kuna scoffed. 'Who cares about him? She's still your mother. If he gets in the way, just kill him.'

Rachel rolled her eyes, finally pushing the door open. Her mother lay draped across the bed, face turned away from what little light made its way through the blinds. Carefully picking her way across the dim, paper-covered room, Rachel gently shook her awake. Autumn opened her eyes, squinting against the light.

'Morning, honey." She whispered. "What time is it?"

"About five twenty," Rachel replied, kneeling to pick up the scattered papers. "You left your window open again. Don't you need these?" She asked, shaking a small sheaf above her head.

The sight of her work on the floor seemed to shake whatever remaining sleep Autumn had left in her. She jumped out of bed, rushing to re-order them. Rachel let slip a giggle at the sight and went about helping her mother clean up.

"You go eat, I'll handle this." She said, taking a sheaf from her mother. "This is the only room left for me to clean up, anyway."

Autumn gave in and left the room, pausing at the door. "Did you sleep at all?"

"Yeah, a bit. Don't worry about it."

Autumn gave a happy hum, and hopped down the stairs, leaving Rachel in her mess of a room. 'Maybe Goeff'll leave her after seeing how messy she can be.' Kuna snarked, prompting a guilty laugh from Rachel. She finished up and left to join her mother at the table, handing Autumn a folder as she sat down. As the smell of pancakes and coffee filled the room, Rachel checked her watch.

"They should be here in a few more minutes."

"I'll be off after saying hello, then." Autumn chirped. "How are you feeling? Nervous?"

'Shy smile, then nod.' The voice ordered.

Rachel followed it's direction, immediately taking a bite of her pancake to avoid any further questions.

'Treat them like guests. Anyway, how do you feel about them?'

'I wish I hadn't gotten out of bed today. Then maybe, today wouldn't be happening.'

'I mean, it's not like you were asleep in the first place. Say you're tired and go back to bed.'

Rachel took her now empty plate and put it in the sink, kissing her mother on the forehead before getting back to her room. There was still roughly an hour till the other children got there, and two hours before Mr Fernandez came with the moving trucks. She had cleaned every room in the house, already missing the familiar silence that accompanied each room. Her father had taught her to accept and love this silence when she was younger. Did he hear a voice as she did?