Prologue

King Roland and Queen Miranda knew it was hard to lose a loved one.

Roland was once married to a woman named Lorelei. They wanted a family very badly, but Lorelei was infertile—that meant she wasn't healthy enough to give birth to children. Roland was so desperate to become a father that when he found an old Wishing Well in the garden, he made a wish. The wish came true, and twins were born: Amber, followed seven minutes later by James. But the birth took a great toll on Lorelei, whose body couldn't handle the stress of childbirth. As a result, she fell gravely ill and died, leaving Roland devastated and the children without a mother.

Miranda was once married to a sailor from Freezenburg named Birk Balthazar

Miranda was once married to a sailor from Freezenburg named Birk Balthazar. They had a beautiful daughter named Sofia, who was just about the splitting image of her father. But when Sofia was five, Birk died at sea, and she missed him very much.

Sofia remembered her father much better than her stepsiblings remembered their mother.

One day, Amber and James found out about their birth mother's true fate, and they wished they'd known her. Sofia suggested Roland use his last wish in the Wishing Well to bring her back to life. Amber and James liked that idea, but it would've had serious consequences. It meant Roland and Miranda would have to file a divorce. Sofia gave up her amulet and tiaras, and since she wouldn't have been able to be with her best friend—and boyfriend—Prince Hugo as often, they broke up. Amber and James weren't sure if this was all worth it.

But then Amber and James had a dream that turned out to be both good and bad: Roland already used his last wish in the wishing well to bring Lorelei back to life, but the wish went horribly wrong. It erased everything Sofia did as a princess and everyone's memories about her. Aunt Tilly never met Sir Bartleby, let alone married him—so Roland never learned that Amber was the real heir to the throne, not James. That meant James was at Ever Realm Academy and Amber at the Institute for Science and Alchemy instead of their selected schools. Hildegard was still pushy and acting like a know-it-all, and she made Clio go with her to the School of Royal Fashions. Hugo never made it to the flying derby championships, let alone won the Flying Crown—and he never took up Enchanted Ice-Dancing—and his older brother, Axel, was bullying him more than he used to. Plus, their parents were fighting a lot in front of their youngest son, and Garrick was still pushing him in sports. Princess Elena was still trapped in the Amulet of Avalor, meaning Shuriki was still ruling said kingdom. Worst of all, Miranda didn't remember ever marrying Roland, and Sofia didn't remember being a princess. Realizing how all this happened in the first place, Amber and James decided that the only way to fix this was to wish everything back to the way it was. They made the wish, and it all turned out to be a bad dream.

After that, everything was back to how it was before. Sofia and Miranda were still Amber and James's stepmother and stepsister, Amber was heir to the throne, James was training to be her First Knight, Hildegard no longer acted like a know-it-all, Clio was at the Performing Arts Academy, Aunt Tilly met and married Sir Bartleby, Hugo was as sweet as candy, Axel was nice to him, and their parents didn't fight anymore.

Amber and James wished they'd met their mother, but bringing her back to life wasn't worth making everyone lose what Sofia blessed them with—and losing their sister wasn't worth it either. Since then, Roland had been telling his children about their mother.