Chapter 1: Ember's Scuffle

the library, main building (or something)

Truthreader was staring out a window, while Terror was organizing scrolls. Ember walked into the library, looking for scrolls on pyrrhian legends.
"Hey, wait a second. this is YOUR job Truthreader. not mine"
"girls gotta have breaks sometimes." she shrugged
When Ember saw them both, she walked towards them. "Hi. Do you know where scrolls about pyrrhian legends are?"
"Animus section, last row" Terror replied.
"thanks. why the Animus section though?"
"dunno. maybe 'cause some legends are about animus magic"
"Really?!"
"Yeah. In fact, I have animus magic" Terror said, quietly
"wait Really?!"
Terror nodded "yeah. my father was an animus. my sister, not so much."
"ooo...must be awesome. I wish I had animus powers, but pantalans don't have those traits"
"thats...sad. unless you're a hybrid with animus ancestors"
"Nah. even if all hivewings descended from Clearsight none of us have animus magic"
"wait...Clearsight? Truthreader and her brother always say they're descended from her friend Listener"
"some of us do have unique powers though. like me!"
"oo- could you tell me about them?"
"sure. not all hivewings have powers and the ones who do have different powers. I have stingers in my wrists, see?"
"oo. I'm a mindreader. but just so you know, I try to stay away from everyone's mind"
"my grandfather also has hivewing powers, but he doesn't have stingers"
"ah. I don't know my grandfather. but since I am an animus I guess I'm closely or distantly related to Darkstalker. I've only seen him once when I was 1. he was HUGE"
"but aren't you a seawing?"
"Half Nightwing. I look like one."
"Oh. I thought the black was just a really dark blue... anyways, my grandfather's power is what me and my friend, Soya, nicknamed 'stink bomb'" 'i'd better leave out the fact that soya is a silkwing..' Ember thought.
Terror struggled to not read her mind. "Ah."
"basically, he can let out a stink whenever he feels like it! it's different from farting though..."
"oh."
At some point earlier, Cypress had walked into the library. she walked over to Terror and Ember. "hey..you're Tropical's friend, right? can you show me where the hybrid scrolls are?" Terror pointed down the hall. "thanks" she says, the leaves
Ember, who hadn't noticed Cypress, was still talking about hivewing powers. "and my aunt, she can spray acid from her tail!"
"ah."
"hey, was that a rainwing?"
"Yeah. I believe her name is Cypress. I've heard tropical ramble on and on about her."
"wow...rainwings are pretty. the silkwings of Jewel Hive would be jealous"
"haha... I've actually heard my dad talk about the hives before. thats how I know about Pantala. He's actually been there"
"really? which hive?"
"Jewel Hive. he stayed there for a couple of weeks before I magicked him back."
"ah. I hope he didn't get confused by the nightly parties. I'm surprised Queen Wasp let Lady Jewel have a visitor from Pyrrhia."
"I mean, he sometimes goes to some. from the seawing queen, obviously. he is an animus..and so am I. Maybe she knew he was powerful enough to wipe her out of existence"
"But why would anyone hurt Queen Wasp?" Ember sounded shocked at the idea.
"I dunno."
"Queen Wasp is the best! she saved us from leafwings, and other than them, who would wanna hurt her?"
"huh. well, there's a leafwing at this school-" Terror cut himself off before he said anything else.
"what?"
"i-i mean, n-nevermind.."
"what's his name, and which winglet does he belong to."
"tell me. I'd hate to use my stingers on you."
as if things couldn't get any worse, alder walking in, an innocent and humble look on his face.
"I said nevermind! would you like me to slap your face with my tail, possibly breaking your jaw?"
"as if you can move that fast!"
"I can! I can enchant my scales to be faster than lightning if I wanted to!" Alder saw the hivewing and Nightwing-seawing hybrid arguing with each other and he backed away, scared.
"so what? my stingers would reach you before you finished!"
Truthreader turned to both of them, angry. "go fight somewhere else! maybe the weapon room!"
the stingers sild out from under Ember's scales, who turned to Truthreader. "well it's not like I know where it is, you dung beetle!"
Alder peeked out from behind some shelves. "please do as she says.." he whispered to Terror, who sighs. "Let's take it there, I'll lead the way.."
"fine..."
"let's go" he walked out of the library towards the weapons room, Ember following him and Alder sneakily following behind Ember.

there were a lot of weapons scattered around the room. Terror quickly whispered a speed spell while Ember looked at her stingers. "I wish I had the same powers as my aunt..." she'd whisper to herself.
"Alright, get ready," Terror said, sharpening his claws on a rock." Alder was hiding and watching from behind a pile of logs. Ember picked up a spear, just in case her stingers didn't work. from his bag Terror took out a mirror he had conveniently, smashing the mirror, taking a piece of the broken mirror and put down his bag. Ember's bag was already on the floor, who was turning to face Terror.
"so, whos going first?"
"Ladies first."
"Alright then." she ran towards terror, and just when she was right in front of him she half turned half flew, landing next to his left flank. she aimed the spear at him, but he turned at an alarming speed, and she missed. Ember nearly fell face first, but she used her front foot to push herself up, hovering in the air.
"you're fast. a lot faster. didja enchant yourself?"
"maybe I did. maybe I didn't." He threw a glass shard at her, which she dodged, only getting a small scratch.
"what was that supposed to do, scratch me?" she flew towards Terror, stingers outstretched. they scratched him a bit. 
"Yeah, pretty much." he felt the small scratch, then picked up another glass shard, throwing it at Ember. she ducked and was unfortunate enough to go down too fast and crash-landed. Terror walked to her, his tail raised and ready to smash down on her. Ember looked up at him, not moving, just waiting for the toxin's effect to start. Wincing, Terror grasped his arm but brought his tail down on Ember anyways. Ember rolled to the side but still got hit. she stood up, grinning.
"I guess you got to experience my stinger's toxin effect directly, huh?"
"heh. I've seen worse. rainwing venom."
"yes, I know about that. but they're pacifists, and rarely use it on dragons or other living things."
he whispered something to his earring, then turned back to her "Tropical's venom, I might add. she looks hideous now since I reversed it." Ember shrugged, not really caring.

"good one. hm.." she noticed his earring and snatched it. "thats a nice piece of jewelry you have"
"HEY!" Terror lunges towards her. "GIVE IT BACK!"
"why? it's just an earring, and it looked pretty so I wanted to take a closer look..."
"but its MINE" Ember shifted slightly, nearly stabbing him with her stingers again
"chill, I just want to take a look"
"no! give it back!"
"honestly you could've just asked me nicely to give it back" she tossed the earring in his general direction. he scooped it up quickly and fastened it back on.
"I mean, it's just an earring, isn't it? oh no... did I take a family heirloom? oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I would've never done that if I knew!"
"Nah, you didn't. it's not some family heirloom"
"oh ok then. a gift from someone you knew?"
the battle resumes
terror threw some blades at ember, who dodged them and tossed sand in his eyes. some of it got in, but he continued throwing the blades. As a last resort, she runs at him, stabbing both stingers into his arm. He yells in pain, but it seems like his wounds were....resealing?
"wh-"
Suddenly he lunges at her, slamming his tail down next to her. She yells, tripping and falling on the ground. Terror hisses and raises his tail for the finishing blow when Alder leaps out from behind a conveniently-placed log.
"the heck?"
"Alder, move. I'm ensuring your safety!"
"no."
Spring was walking by, and when she heard the commotion she hopped in
"what in the gosh diggity darn biscuit is going on?"
Ember gets up, slowly, looking at alder and terror and back.
"you two know each other?"
"oh, I know everyone. at least, those who can actually muster up the courage to face me and my awesomeness."
"your awesomeness? you tried to, oh I dunno, hurt me so badly I couldn't get up!"
"Yeah well, I was just tryin' to stop you from hurting someone. It's all about standing up for the weak, ya'know. Like a hero!"
Ember growls and leaves the room, heading back to her cave. Spring was just sitting there, trying to process whatever in the heck had just happened.