Chapter 5 Teenagers, spells and Fire demons

Third pov

Returning to the castle and to the stress wasn't something (y/n) wanted. She wanted to be alone, not surrounded by annoying old men wanting her to cater to their every whim. Madame Sulliman noticed clearly that her apprentice was growing agitated, and since she did like her apprentice she did make sure (y/n) could breathe.

(Y/n) was actually ordered to go into the field.

It was more than she could handle, and when she came back to the castle in the early morning hours, she found grey hairs going through her normal (h/c) colour.

Howl's castle

Young Sophie was tired and had a headache as she sat in front of the grey fire. Everything was in black, grey and white. She couldn't see anything else and it was exhausting.

"That's a tricky curse you have there."

Sophie looked up to see that it was the fire that spoke. "The fire is talking.... Are you Howl?"

"No, I'm an extremely powerful fire demon named Calcifer." Calcifer stated proudly. "Your curse won't allow you to talk about it directly, right? You know, I can help you break it, if you break the one that is on me." Calcifer smirked.

"You want me to trust a demon? Do you promise to help me if I help you?" Sophie felt herself starting to slip off into dream land. The day had been long.

"Demons don't make promises, but - hey kid! Don't fall asleep on me!" Calcifer pouted as the teen had fallen asleep.  He really couldn't understand humans.

*************************************************************************
Time skip

Markl came down the stairs as he heard the door, but he stopped for a moment when he saw a girl sleeping in a chair by the fire place.

"Who's this? How did she get in here?" He mumbled, scratching his head.

"Porthaven door."

Markl shook his head and grabbed his cloak that made him look like an old man when the hood was up. He opened the door and greeted the man on the other side. "Mr mayor, good day."

"Good afternoon sir, would the great wizard Jenkins be at home?"  The mayor asked.

As Markl and the mayor talked, Sophie opened her eyes, ears straining to hear the conversation.

"I'm afraid the master is out. I speak for him in his absence."

Sophie slowly sat up properly, her back had been less than happy about where she'd slept for the night, but that couldn't be helped now.

"An invitation from His Majesty the king. The time for war is upon us." The mayor handed Markl a letter. "His Majesty requiers that every witch and wizard aid their homeland. Wizard Jenkins must report to the palace immidietly, that is all."

Markl closed the door and turned around to see that the girl that had been sleeping on the chair was now awake. "And what do you think you are doing here?"

Sophie warmed her hands by Calcifer. "Calcifer let me in."

The fire demon looked offended. "I did not. She just wandered in here from The Wastes."

"The Wastes?" Markl's eyes widened. "How do we know that she's not a witch?"

"Do you really think I'd let a witch in here?" The doorbell jingled again. "Porthaven door, again."

Markl pulled on his disguise. "Must be a customer." He walked over to the door. "Stand by."

Sophie watched from where she was standing as the boy (now disguised as an old man) spoke to a child and told her to come in. When he passed Sophie to pick up a spell he whispered to her to behave.

Sophie felt like huffing at that. Why wouldn't she behave? She was the most well behaved of all her siblings!

Then a window caught her eye and she went to look out of it. Much to her shock, the outside did not show The Wastes.

"Excuse me miss, are you a witch too?" The little girl asked.

Sophie smiled at her. "No, but I have a sister training to be one."

Markl cut in now, handing the girl a paper bag. "Dust the ship with this powder and the winds will favour it."

"Thanks." She handed him the payment and left.

Markl glared at Sophie, though there wasn't much heat behind it, just annoyance. "Quit telling lies to our customers."

"I wasn't lying actually! Besides, if anyone is lying then it's you with that disguise." Sophie shot back.

"I'm practicing my magic!"

The door sounded. "It's the Kingsbury door."

Markl pulled on his disguise for a third time. "Stand by." He did something with the doorknob before opening it to reveal a man on the other side.

"Good day, would this be the residence of the great wizard Pendragon?"

"It is."

"I bear an invitation from His Majesty. Please inform mr Pendragon that all witches and wizards are required to report for duty at the palace." The young man gave Markl a letter.

"I will inform him right away."

That seemed to be enough for the man as he gave a nod and went over to the car where his driver was waiting.

Sophie had come down to stand beside Markl, but her eyes widened when she saw where they were. "This is the royal city, isn't it?" She mumbled in awe.

"Get back in or you'll loose your nose!" Markl called from inside.

She got back in before he closed the door. "And stop wandering around."

Sophie scoffed. She felt uncharacteristically bothered by being bossed around, so when he went back up, she twisted the doorknob and looked outside to see The Wastes. She twisted another time to see a town she knew was located beside her hometown.

Just as she was about to twist it a third time Markl was back, looking very annoyed with her. "Leave it alone, I'm getting angry."

Sophie didn't care about that, she felt like an excited child. "This is a magic house, isn't it? Where does the black one lead?"

Markl grumbled, but something in the annoyance eased when he saw her look of wonder. "Only Master Howl knows that. I need some breakfast, I'm starved."

I feel like I've given Sophie a bit more personality than she has at the start of the movie, but I am writing her as a 15 year old too so, oh well

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)