six

ian

It's been two weeks since the incident in the dugouts with Mickey. Two weeks since we've spoken. Two weeks since I've seen him for more than 30 seconds at a time. Two weeks since I've even heard him speak more than a mumble. It shouldn't matter. It shouldn't make me feel like shit every time I pass him in the halls, or make me feel repulsive when I'm hanging out with Mandy and Mickey walks in, only to leave right away at the sight of my presence. In the span of 24 hours, my brain was completely taken over by some criminal kid who I only knew previously from south side rumors about his family's misdemeanors. He broke into my house, tried to kill me, and somehow made his way into everything I do.

It was yet another freezing cold December weekend in Chicago and Mandy and I had plans to hang out, so here I was, sitting on the couch of the Milkovich house. The original plan was to go to the movies but the thought of even stepping outside for longer than needed was enough to turn us to playing video games all day.

"Jones is a dick and you know it Ian. Just cause he's cute doesn't mean you get to excuse his asshole assignments."

I couldn't help but laugh. Mandy was always going on long winded rants about the school system and the "fart heads" (her words, not mine) who ran it.

"He's just doing his job Mands, what do you want me to do?"

"Get off his dick for a second and boycott this assignment with me."

"This isn't the American Revolution Mandy, you can't just boycott what you want cause you think it's unfair."

She put her controller down and looked directly at me scoffing, "God Ian you even sound like him."

"Would you stop complaining and focus on the game. You're gonna run out of lives if you just let those nazis kill you warrant free," I chirped back.

She shoved my shoulder, smiling, and picked up her controller to continue our game. We played on for a while like that, periodically taking a break to grab more chips or more beers. The more I've gotten to know Mandy, the more Milkovich she seems, especially with video games. She was the type of person to jump up and scream for a good 30 seconds when she did something good but curse and threaten to smash the television in when she's defeated. I enjoyed being there with her, witnessing her passion and ferocity.

Then he walked in. Within the last two weeks, I've gotten pretty good at ignoring Mickey when he comes through the front door, just as he has gotten really good at grumbling when he sees me on his couch and walking right back out the door. Today was different though. When Mickey came through that door, Mandy and I both stopped what we were doing and immediately became concerned with the sight in front of us.

"Holy shit Mickey, what the hell happened to you?" Mandy started as she got up and began walking over to the bloody and beaten boy standing in the doorway. I stood up as well, but kept my distance and my mouth shut, not wanting to make the situation worse.

"Oh ya know, just another sunny fuckin side up day in beautiful Chicago." Mickey was grabbing his jaw which was clearly bruised up. His nose was covered in blood and his right eye had swelled up considerably. I just stood still, watching the battered boy limp towards his bedroom, clearly not in the mood to talk.

"Jesus," Mandy sighed, letting him move forward despite his showing pain. "Should I be scared that some guy is gonna come pounding down our door looking for you?"

"I handled it Mandy. Leave me the fuck alone now," he answered while making it to his room, slamming the door behind him.

Mandy turned back towards me, clearly distressed and overwhelmed.