Chapter 8: Delivery Girl

Max

Tonya was excitedly waving at me from the lunch table where Julian and I always sat at. I hesitated for a brief moment, before finally deciding to sit down. I wasn't good with a lot more people.

"Max, this is Letty and Sierra, from my Spanish class," Tonya introduced me.

"Hey," Sierra smiled brightly. She flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder and looked friendly enough to me. That didn't make me relax however.

"Where's Julian?" Tonya asked me and I shrugged.

"I dunno," I admitted, and at that moment my phone buzzed. Taking it out I looked and saw it was a text from Julian himself. "Speak of the Devil," I muttered to myself. I looked at the text.

Hey, sorry 2 leave u hanging, but I'm not going to the table. I frowned at his message.

Y not? I asked. I didn't like being around people I didn't know very well.

Sierra is the girl I hooked up with at the party. Julian's reply came after a moment of hesitation. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

And I'm guessing Letty was the cute friend? I asked just for confirmation. I looked at the pair of girls who were happily chatting away with Tonya who looked much happier than she had looked the day before.

Yahhhhhhh. Julian couldn't stay away from me forever unless he'd suddenly started hanging out with new friends I was unaware of, but I'd give him a pass just for today so he could come up with a way to talk to Sierra and Letty if they came by tomorrow.

"So Max," Tonya said getting my attention from my phone. "We were all thinking of hanging out by the Pike Outlets on Saturday. Do you wanna come?"

"Uh, Saturday?" I frowned thinking about how I wouldn't be able to buy anything at the mall even if I wanted to go. "I don't know. I think I'm working then."

"See, Sierra?" Letty elbowed her friend. "I'm not the only one who has a job, and responsibilities."

"Where do you work?" Sierra asked curiously. I mentally cursed myself. I just had to open my big mouth and draw attention to myself. What's your job, Max? Well gee, I don't know, I sling drugs for a dealer. How do you like them apples? Instead I thought quickly and on the fly.

"Um, as a cashier, in some no-name convenient store," I said as casually as I could muster.

"Damn," Sierra muttered looking disappointed, "Then I guess they're not hiring?"

"No," I said almost too quickly. "Yeah, they're kind of good on employees."

"I'm telling you, girl," Letty said to Sierra, "Come work with me at my dad's panaderia."

"Maybe I should get a job?" Tonya said thoughtfully to the group, and I shrugged. "I could help my sister."

"I still think we should hang out sometime this week," Sierra said placing her hand on her cheek. "Maybe get our nails done. See a movie? I heard there's a party this weekend—That sounds like fun."

"Oh my gosh I haven't gotten my nails done in absolutely forever!" Tonya's eyes lit up, as I slid my own hands off the table and into my lap self-consciously. My own nails were practically nonexistent and hadn't been a concern in the longest time.

"Are you planning on coming?" Tonya asked me with excitement. 

"Uh, I don't know," I admitted.

"Oh my gosh, what if we gave you a makeover?" Sierra asked me excitedly. "Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I just think you're super pretty, and like, we could come over to your house and bring all our beauty supplies, and I bet you we could get you a hot date or something."