Chapter 10: Making Deals

Max

My fight or flight instincts were in high gear as soon as I saw who my clients were. This was beyond bad.

When I had gotten the text from a client named Blue I hadn't been expecting that the faces attached would be my classmates from English. One of them was Hunter. The other's names I didn't know.

"You're a girl?" Two of the guys with Hunter said in unison. Hunter on the other hand stood there shocked to even see me. The feeling was mutual.

"Yeah, a girl. Now quit acting like you've never seen one," I said while rolling my eyes.

"We've just never thought that... well I never thought that our drug dealer was going to be a girl," one of Hunter's friends said nervously. He was too nervous, and didn't seem to fit in with the scene around him. Definitely not cut out for the hood.

"Hey, I respect the hustle. It's hot." The other friend, with dark skin said. He looked me over and I frowned. Hunter elbowed his friend at this, "Ow! What was that for?"

"Just get the stuff so we can go, Isaiah," Hunter shoved his hands into his pockets and stared at the floor.

"Uh, what do you guys want?" I focused my attention on the one named Isaiah. "The text didn't say."

"We'll take some Fire Bud," Isaiah said at last. Did they really not recognize me? We all had the same English class. "Do you already have them rolled into blunts? My friends here wouldn't know what to do with anything else?"

"I'm out of Fire Bud, but I've got some edibles. Does that work for you boys?" I flashed the bags of edibles that looked very much like regular store bought gummy bears.

"Candy?" The jumpy boy said excitedly.

"Marijuana candy," Hunter said while staring at me in the eyes. I stared him down evenly. He most definitely recognized me, but was refusing to acknowledge me by name. I was equal parts relieved and uneasy.

"Two ten," I said reaching into my backpack to get this sale over with.

"I thought drugs were expensive?"

I gave the nervous boy a questioning look.

"Tyler, she means two hundred and ten dollars," Hunter elbowed his friend.

"Oh," Tyler mouthed an O with his mouth before falling silent.

"Do you get a lot of sales?" Hunter asked as I counted out the edibles. There were three of them, and they were getting six edibles. Two apiece. The concentrated amounts of cannabis in an edible were more dangerous than a blunt.

"Uh, no more than the usual," I replied without looking up. "Los Angeles is a profitable city." I held out the baggie that Isaiah accepted with practically glowing eyes.

"Don't eat it two at a time. Just one, you hear?" I warned. First rule of drug dealing is that you don't want to kill your client after their first sale. Makes for a bad reputation in business, and not what Luc wanted to boost sales. "You'll feel a high maybe half an hour or an hour in after eating it. It won't be a rush, but sort of a gradual thing. Your body's not a computer, it's not lagging, it's just downloading really slowly."