Chapter 20: The Start of Something New

Max

I could not believe I'd told Hunter so much about myself, but then again he kind of started the conversation with "my brother's dead." So I felt obligated to tell him part my tragic backstory. It seemed to balance out well enough, but I made sure to not mention Riley. I seldom spoke of Riley out loud. I barely mentioned him to Jeremy.

Hunter led me to his beautiful car, the Ford Mustang in its shimmering Acapulco Blue, which was making me drool over its beauty and good condition. It looked so much cooler in the sunlight then it had the night before. Running my hand over the hood the gear head in me couldn't help but geek over such a beautiful classic car.

Getting in Hunter's car he left the In-N-Out behind and started making his way to the 405 freeway.

"How far we going?" I asked suddenly. Wondering what kind of trip Hunter had in mind.

"Relax, we're not going to San Diego if that's what you're worried about," Hunter laughed. "We're just gonna go a little ways outside the city."

I didn't know how far outside the city he meant, but I let it go either way.

"So I take it this isn't your first time ditching?" I asked him leaning back in the front seat.

"Of course not," he laughed. "Although, this is the first time I've ditched with a cute girl."

I gave him an unamused look as he responded with a flirtatious wink. Boys really would be boys no matter what situation they were in.

Cruising through the freeway, between the sea of cars and cityscape, Long Beach began to fall away as our surroundings became flat and full of emptiness, just a flood of cars on the ever flowing highway. Off in the distance I could see the sparkle of the ocean off in the distance. We were heading for Bolsa Chica State Park.

"You could've just told me we'd be going to the beach," I said to him once I saw where we'd be heading.

"Yeah, but would it have been as fun if I told you?" He shot back with that mischievous look.

Parking his car I got out and smelled the briny air as the cool breeze caressed my face. The effect was incredibly calming considering the stress I'd been under.

A thought occurred to me as I saw the sun over the water. Taking my phone out I took a few pictures of the ocean, ready to turn that in for my photography class as credit.

"Looks, like an empty day out here," Hunter stated as he slid off the hood of his car and made his way to the sand.

"Well, it is like a Monday afternoon," I reminded him. I walked past him down into the sand feeling my feet sink into the sand. Not wanting to ruin my shoes and socks I took them off and felt the sandy massage I got from the beach. I let out an involuntary sigh.

"There's no beach in Portland, right?" Hunter asked me.

"Nope, no beach, but I once went to Cannon Beach," I told him. It had been a joy ride trip with Riley that had been some of the most incredible nights of my life in the back of his Jeep.

One day I wouldn't think of Riley as much as I did, but after so much of life had been just him and me it was like a majority of my most memorable moments had involved him. I looked to Hunter and realized I'd spaced out.

"They filmed part of that one Twilight movie on that beach, right?" I heard Hunter say.

"Uh, yeah?" I had never paid attention to anything in Oregon. Everyone always had so much to say about it, but it had nothing I wanted to hang onto.