chapter five

a/n mark looks good in a white suit 👀

It's been a week since I met Jackson.

A week of blushing, a week of awkward questions which I generally don't reply to, and a week of denying to everyone that I like him.

Because I don't. You can't like someone you've just met, this isn't a stupid fanfiction.

Right now I'm sitting in Maths and quietly doing my work, sneaking peeks at the god sitting next to me whenever I feel suited to.

I really want to start a conversation, but I don't know what to start it with. Besides, whenever I try to talk to him I get hella self-conscious of my voice and talk quietly.

Let's just hope he doesn't try to talk to me, first.

"Hey, Mark..."

You've got to be kidding me.

"Yes?"

"It was a few days ago, but you said you used to live in USA."

"Ah," I said, nodding. "I did."

"Where about?"

I swallowed, realising he was trying to make conversation with me. "LA," I answered. "I was born there."

"Really? I've always wanted to go there."

I smiled, genuinely, realising I should probably at least try to keep the conversation because he was trying so hard and it's sweet. "It's nice there. And you're from China?"

He nodded. "Hong Kong. We moved because my Dad got a job opportunity here and thought it would be good if he took it. Why did you move?"

"My parents decided it would be nice if we moved here," I replied. "I think they want me to be a kpop star."

He laughed. "Do you?"

I shrugged, "not really. Maybe in another life."

"We can be in a group together in that life, then," he said. I smiled, nodding.

"That sounds nice."

We drifted back into silence, but even though I was doing my work I wasn't concentrating. He seems to have that effect of me.

"Okay kids, school is over. Go do whatever you do and don't forget to finish your homework by tomorrow," Ms Hwang said. I stood up and began packing up before feeling two eyes watching me. I slowly looked up and locked eyes with Jackson. While my cheeks flushed red, he smiled, unfazed, and began helping me pack up.

"Thank you..." I mumbled so quietly I'm not sure he heard.

"Of course," he replied. "That's what friends are for, right?"

Maybe I was supposed to be sad that he basically just friend-zoned me, but considering the fact that I barely talk to him and most of our conversations so far seem to be one-sided on his part, being friend-zoned is much better than being stranger-zoned, so I silently fanboyed and tried to hide my grin.

When we stepped out of class Jinyoung was waiting for me, scrolling through his phone with a bored yet still handsome look on his face. He looked up when we came and smirked seeing me next to Jackson.

"Hi, Jinyoung," Jackson greeted.

"Hello!" He answered rather cheerfully. "How was maths?"

I looked at him curiously.

"What's got you so happy?" Jackson asked, clearly thinking the same as me.

"Huh! Me, happy?" He laughed. "Nothing."

I exchanged a look with Jackson and we both started laughing.

"Really?"

"Really. Anyway, Jackson, can I steal Mark? He's going to take me to his home and teach me how to English so I don't fail my assignment.

Jackson nodded, his smile faltering for a second as he looked between us. "Of course. I'll see you later, Mark?"

"Bye, Jackson," I said, waving as he left and silently questioning why he only said goodbye to me when Jinyoung is with me.

Jinyoung turned to me when Jackson had disappeared around the corner and took my hand, dragging me down the opposite corridor.

"Do you know what happened to me, Mark?" He asked excitedly, a huge grin lighting up his features.

I raised my eyebrows. "What?"

Jinyoung squealed, swinging our hands as we walked and practically bouncing. "Jaebeom kind of admitted he likes me!"

I let out a similar squeal, stopping and turning him around so he faced me, taking both his hands in mine. "And what did you say?"

"Well..." he trailed off, frowning. "I didn't say anything. Like, it was really subtle and I'm not entirely sure if he meant it like that..."

"Of course he meant it like that. He probably loves you more than you love him."

"Impossible," Jinyoung denied, shaking his head. "Technically I've known him longer than he's known me as well."

"Only because you noticed him first," I scoffed. We started walking again. "Are you okay if we walk to my house? We already missed the bus."

"Sure. It means more time where I don't have to do my assignment."

"I'm literally going to do it for you," I deadpanned. "English isn't even that hard."

His eyes widened and he hit my shoulder. "You grew up in the US! Of course it's easy for you!"

I laughed, patting his head. "It's easier than Korean."

His eyes widened even more, if that was possible, and he started karate chopping my arm. "It's really not! Korean doesn't make you capitalise every second word."

"English doesn't make you capitalise every second word!" I exclaimed. "Only at the start of sentences and the first letter of proper nouns!"

"And you expect me to know what a proper noun is?" He asked, completely dumbfounded.

I started laughing again. "Fine. I guess not everyone is as smart as me."

"Hey! Not everyone knows three languages!"

"No," I said thoughtfully. "Jackson does, though."

"Jackson, huh..." He smirked. I realised it was a bad idea to mention him, but too late now, I guess.

"Stop it!" I whined. "I don't like him!"

"I didn't say anything!" He laughed.

"He is so sweet, though..." I mumbled, trailing off.

Jinyoung burst out into laughter. "Yet you deny any crush on him," he mutters with a dramatic sigh. "And you say I'm the idiot."

I chose to ignore him which caused his giggling to continue.

"You're adorable," he murmured, shaking his head with a grin.

"I know where you live, Jinyoung," I warned.

"And I'm currently in your street going to your house, Mark," he teased.

"God, I hate you."

"The feeling's mutual."

But just as we turned the corner to my house, I noticed a particular boy I happen to know talking to my mother outside the front of my house.

"Jinyoung..." I managed to stutter out, raising a shaky finger toward the boy. "Is that Jackson?"

a/n
"call out my name"
HI YOUNGJAE ILY