chapter eighteen

We flew apart from each other, glancing at the cabin near us where the voice had come from and, with a sinking heart... no, I take that back, my heart literally plummeted, I realised it was Mina and two of her friends.

"Of course she's here..." I mumbled.

Jackson waved and I noticed he was both very embarrassed and very disappointed, I'm not sure which there was more of, by what we were about to maybe possibly hopefully did I say hopefully I didn't mean hopefully do. He avoided my gaze.

"What are you doing here?" She called. Jackson inhaled, slumping in his seat slightly.

"I came with Mark!" He called in reply.

I couldn't help but grin as I imagined her face as he said that. Jackson evidently noticed this, turning back to me with raised eyebrows.

"Why are you grinning?"

"Imagine her face, Jackson."

He frowned. "Why would she care if I was with you?"

"Ah..." I realised. "Nevermind."

"You're not on a date, are you?" She asked. "Like Youngjae suggested you were?"

"Oh, we are," he answered, turning to me with raised eyebrows as I was currently trying not to choke on the laughter I was holding back.

"I don't understand what's so funny."

I let myself chuckle and hold up my finger to shush him.

"Thanks for helping me get out of PE!" I yelled at her.

"What? I did no such—"

She let out a scream as the Ferris wheel started moving again. Jackson and I exchanged a glance.

"What do you mean, helped you get out of PE?" He asked obliviously.

"It doesn't matter," I laughed. "She's funny."

"And you're confusing."

I shrugged. "What about me is confusing?"

"Why is she funny?"

"Because she's so jealous~"

"What? Of me being with you?"

"Of me. She's jealous that I hang out with you and thinks I like you or something stupid like that."

His face dropped. "Oh. Something stupid like that."

I don't understand what I said wrong, but obviously there was something because he's now dead silent and won't look up from the floor.

We got off the ride and rushed out of the park before Mina could talk to Jackson, standing outside awkwardly and waiting for the other to talk first.

"Are you walking home?" He asked. I nodded.

"Are you?"

He shrugged. "Sure."

We walked in silence for a good five minutes until Jackson spoke up again.

"Thanks for coming with me."

I smiled. "Of course. I had a lot of fun."

He returned the smile, nodding. "Me too." Then he added, rather shyly, "would you like to stay at my house tonight? You don't have to or anything, but like, if you wanted to you could you know because it's the weekend so we don't have school tomorrow and—"

"You're cute when you ramble," I comment. "Of course I will."

"Yay! I was about to ask if you wanted to stop at your house and get some clothes but you're literally my neighbour."