John x Reader - Fear of Heights

Word Count: 2941

The Van Der Linde gang had been staying at Horseshoe Overlook for a few weeks now. After running from the Pinkertons and getting stuck up in the mountains, the warm sun of the Heartlands was a welcome change of pace.

Y/N wasn't the most adventurous and so she spent most of her days in camp, tending to the chores and other little silly things that needed to be done.

John was out running an errand for Dutch now that his wounds had finally healed enough for him to be out and about again.

Those wounds... You sighed as you thought back to the day Arthur and Javier had found him up in the mountains.

"Can we get some help here!?"

Javier's voice rang out from outside and you shot up. You waited a moment before Arthur's voice made you run to the door. "Can we get some help? We need some help here!"

Lenny and Bill followed you as you pushed the door open and stepped outside. The sudden change of light made you blink a few times to let your eyes adjust. Once they were, you looked up and saw John slumped over on the back of Javier's horse.

"John!" You called out and ran up to him.

"Hey Y/N." He said as he gave you a weak smile.

You went to reply but Bill and Lenny stepped in front of you and started lifting him off of the horse. John let out a yelp in pain and Javier was quick to come to his aid. "Ay, careful idiotas, it's his leg."

You bit your lip with worry and slowly followed the men as they carried John inside. He was groaning in pain the whole way and got put at the back of the cabin on a table. Seeing the condition he was in, you quickly gathered some supplies to take care of his wounds.

Once you got all you needed you walked back to the table. "Oh John, where have you been?" You asked as you put your hand on his left lower jaw, careful to avoid all the wounds, and assessed the damage.

"Somewhere you wouldn't like." He chuckled before wincing because of the pain it put on his face. Your brows furrowed in confusion while you carefully wiped away the blood on his face.

You concentrated on not hurting him and stayed silent until you were done cleaning his face. "What do you mean?" You then said as you moved on to his leg.

"I ended up on the top of a mountain." He shook his head as he said that. "And if that wasn't enough, some wolves attacked me and chased me so that I had to take cover on a small ledge where I stayed hidden as best as I could for god knows how long. Out in the open, in the snow and wind, where I could see all the way down the mountain and into the deep."

You shuddered at the thought and glanced at John before focusing on treating his leg again. "You're right." You said while wrapping his leg in bandage. "I wouldn't like it." You silently smiled to yourself as you moved back to his face. "You really scared me John." Your voice came out quieter than you wanted as you looked him in the eyes.

John cupped your face and pulled you closer to him, pressing his forehead against yours since that was one of the few places he wasn't actually injured. "I'm sorry to have you worry."

You moved one of your hands onto his and closed your eyes as a small smile spread across your face. "Just focus on getting better and save the apologies for later."

With that, you pulled away and the two of you sat in comfortable silence as you continued treating his wounds.

You sighed once again as your mind shot back into the present. John had been out of action for a few weeks and you started to get used to having him around all the time. You shook your head and focused on the tasks at hand.